002. Everybody's Talkin' At Me

two everybody's talkin' at me

two
everybody's talkin' at me

HOLLY'S ALMOST at the end of her first week at Chilton. For the most part it's been rather boring.

Tristan Dugray, in response to her rejecting his offer to study together, has started calling her 'Mary.' Obviously, Holly's not an idiot — she knows what it means — but if it means people will leave her alone, she's alright with it. Although, she hopes it doesn't stick for too long; she would like a boyfriend at some point, when she's gotten her shit together.

Rory is on cloud nine. It's cute at first, until about two days later when she starts waiting for Holly at the bus stop to ask her reams of questions about her day, about the curriculum, about what the teachers are like, what the people are like. It frustrates Holly to no end, but she keeps it to herself so as not to hurt her cousin's feelings.

Holly lies through her teeth about her experience at Chilton. She says nothing about Charleston essentially telling her to drop out, Foldergate, Paris Geller, or the fact that all the boys are calling her frigid. She thinks Lorelai will kill her if she scares Rory off before she even gets there.

She gets home to find her mom sat on the sofa with her head in her hands. Holly's brow furrows.

"Mom?" she calls, sitting on the sofa next to her mom and placing a hand on her back. "You okay?"

"Yeah, fine," Lucy sits up. "Just... don't hate me. And don't say a word about this to anyone, I promised Lorelai I wouldn't tell you."

"Um... okay?"

"So, Lorelai's been struggling to pay Rory's tuition for Chilton."

"Right."

"I would help her out, but I can only just about pay yours."

"Sorry."

"No, it's fine! It's not an issue. But anyway, that's not the point I was trying to make — Lorelai went to her parents today, and asked them to pay for it."

"Oh no," Holly grimaces. "How did that go?"

"Well... they agreed."

"They did?"

"On one condition."

"Oh God."

"That Lorelai and Rory have to go to their house for dinner every Friday night."

Holly lets out a loud cackle.

"...and we have to go too."

"What?!"

"I know, I know," Lucy groans. "Lorelai tried to get us out of it, I tried too, but your grandma said that we all need to get together as a family more, and she brought up your dad, and... it upset me, but he was her son, you know? If it helps her to have us all be together once a week, then... who am I to say no?"