11. Unexpected Reality

Wahag didn't know why he believed this idea would work. As a jin, he knew exactly where all the thoughts and voices that came to his awareness were from. But in the human body, it was all confusing. Why would God create a being and make it walk so blindly?
Wahag returned to the most shallow part of the lake and laid Dodi down. He was worried for a second about the wounds, but again something told him to just go with it.
By the name of God, the one and only true power and against all evil, I declare my intention to help this boy.
He took the water between his hands and started to drench Dodi's body while breathing slowly and leading the energy of the water to the Dodi's energy that he felt when he summoned the shield days ago. Then he placed his hand which looked huge on the little boy's chest and came close to his ear, "Dodi, you are loved by a lot of humans. You matter to them. You deserve life." Wahag closed his eyes and summoned the boy's soul. He could see it as light flickering in a dark storm of the darkness that is trying to devour him.
Dodi, your enemy is weaker than you think. Wahag called to him, but the boy was too far to reach.
Wahag sat next to Dodi's boy for what felt like hours pushing the flow of water energy into him, till he couldn't sense the dark energy no more.
Wahag opened his eyes hoping to see that Dodi recovered, but the boy was unresponsive, breathing calmly with no signs of any alertness.
His body now is the one that needs to recover. The voice said.
Wahag carried Dodi back where he was met midway by Prince, who unlike Wahag, took over carrying Dodi with absolute ease.
"Is he okay now?" Prince's eyes were glued on the tiny figure in his arms.
"We will have to wait and see." Wahag said apologetically.
They returned to the small hut, and this time no one was waiting around it.
"Where did everyone go?" Wahag asked.
"Mostly to the fields. We can't really afford to sit idle, no matter how much we are in pain." Prince was much more vulnerable and friendly than his pestering usual. The thought that this is probably how friends talk to each other crossed Wahag's mind.
"How did you all end up here? Doesn't anyone have parents? Humans usually have parents to take care of them and feed them." Wahag seriously pondered.
Prince listened to him with equal seriousness, "We are all orphans or better off being orphans. You know the village nearby? We all used to live there, horrible people. Dow and Joza found most of us either half dead or worse."
"Wait, the hounds aren't the reason for all the wounds and missing limbs?"
Prince shook his head fiercely, "No. Most of us showed up here worse than we are right now. Sure, the hounds make our lives hell and they caused a few lost lives, but it's nothing in comparison to living in the village."
Wahag couldn't be any more confused. Weak small humans scavenging to feed themselves haunted by dangerous deadly creatures, how could there be anything worse?
Prince must have noticed his disbelief, "Look, I will give you an example, we are around fifteen here. Some come and go bringing us supplies that we can't grow." He waved his had at the insignificance of that fact, "Three of the fiften were found with serious conditions left in front of hospitals in winter because no one was there to pay their bills. Dow paid for their hospital bills and brought them here. Around ten are runaways from the orphanage which is another word for do-what-you-want-to-them-as-long-as-you-pay house. We have been on the run from the village council for years now. The hound infested woods are actually safer."
Wahag was lost for words. Humans never seized to surprise him by how awful they can be.
He was also surprised that Prince was actually much more chatty than Wahag could have ever imagined. On the whole way back he was telling stories about the horrible things that happen to anyone weak in the village, abandoned, tortured, sold for organs... "The village is isolated from the world by days of walking in the woods... and.. I think... that someone or something is making sure its isolated, some dark force. Whenever we tried to leave in a big group, something bad always happens, an accident or we get found. There are only very few villagers that come and go. And there are usually these tourists that come by from time to time, real nasty people loaded and protected." Prince could have went on, but he was disrupted by a sound Wahag didn't mean to make. Sneeze. Sneeze.
"Bless you. You really are a weakling." Prince smiled warmly and shook his head. Wahag wasn't sure how being called a weakling could feel like a compliment. "Let's get you a change of clothes."
Prince placed Dodi under blankets in the hut, "Wait here." It was the first time Wahag noticed that Prince didn't put him into handcuffs since the morning.
Wahag contemplated the possibility of running for it, but looking at the pale Dodi, he told himself that he will probably have another chance after Dodi gets better.
When the evening came, Wahag chose to return back to his hut in fear something happens to the talisman ball.
Entering the hut dressed in the clothes Prince got him which somehow were short and huge, the flow of dark energy hit him, and Wahag almost missed sitting in the water with Dodi.
He casted a shield and decided to shut his eyes. His body was shivering, and he felt both hot and cold.
What's happening? Wahag asked the voice.
I am sick. This is fever. I am fighting an invader. the voice answered.
Do you need my help?
Not really. Just rest and let me do the rest.
With that, Wahag shut his eyes and drifted to sleep. He wouldn't have woken up if he hadn't heard a rustle outside the hut. He opened his eyes checking if the sun was up, but it was still deep in the night. Someone was trying to open the door.