24. Judge me not

"Are you sure this is the right place?" Dow's voice echoed in the dark cave that looked like a dead-end.
"It is. You'll see," Wahag excitedly picked up the pace, not because of the place itself as much as wanting to show it to Dow.
Wahag stepped into the darkest part of the cave and Dow skeptically followed, only for the cave to lighten up, "What just happened?"
"It's just a visual trick," Wahag marveled at the high walls covered in relics and books.
Dow was too gawking at the space, "This place is huge. How are we going to find the book quickly? Prince is..."
"Yes, yes I know. He might bring down the mountain or something to find you if we are late," Wahag said as he gently went through objects and books on the shelves, then putting them back.
"I was going to say Prince is not safe all alone out there," Dow protested with her arms crossed over her chest.
"What's with you two anyway? Are you bonded in some way?" Wahag asked with a bit of disgust at the possibility.
"Bonded?" Dow's eyebrow merged.
"What is the term you humans use?" Wahag posed the question for himself, "A couple! Married? Dating? - considering that you have no faith to follow."
"Eww no, Prince is much younger than me. He is what? 17?"
"Doesn't that make him more desirable? He is young and strong; he can provide for your offspring."
Dow did a theatrical gagging sound, "I think I will taint this sacred place."
"But why not? He also seems very dedicated. He followed you all the way here even though he has nothing to gain, other than possibly of your admiration for his valor," Dow laid out his logic with his attention fully on the racks.
Dow sighed, "He thinks he owes me his life or something."
"Well, doesn't he? I heard you saved most of the kids in the woods."
"It's not like that. And quit stalling, you know where that book is, don't you?"
"Not exactly, but I think we will be able to sense it," Wahag closed his eyes and started to move forward, "we would return quicker to your loyal admirer, if you helped me look."
"I can't do that sensing thing that you do. You haven't taught me how," Dow protested.
Wahag opened his eyes with disappointment, "your lack of faith in being one of God's most magnificent creations is appalling. You have all this power and all this... this.. skill and talent, but all you do is talk disgracefully about it, and you feel no shame of your blindness towards what God blessed you with."
"And you feel no shame being a condescending little b****," Dow said flatly.
"Excuse me?"
"You heard me. You keep doing that. Isn't that a sin or something? Talking like you know it all."
Wahag felt his cheeks and ears catching fire remembering the last time at the lake,"I... I am... I am only speaking the truth. There is no sin in that."
"No, you are not. You could just tell me what I don't know without the convoluted patronizing lecture."
Wahag paused and swallowed, "well..." he took a steadying breath, "Well, you can sense things if you stop doubting every voice you hear in your head."
"How would you know which voice to listen to? They are jumbled up."
"Just try," Wahag locked eyes with Dow for longer than he intended before he closed his eyes, "This is a book of great knowledge that should have remained in a different releam. Its energy should stand out like a drop of water right in the heart of a flame."
Dow sighed deeply before following Wahag's cue. Something about his voice and breathing was pulling her towards a peaceful state.
The room was still and silent, but with her eyes closed Dow started to see visions of different objects. Some images told her where they came from, some told her who was the last person to touch them, and some spoke of how to use them.
"God commanded that everything in the human world should answer to humans, all you have to do is ask the right question," Wahag added after a long pause.
Dow casted the question within the crowd of objects, and suddenly she could see it.
"It's deeper in the cave, just around the corner," she said with disbelief. She opened her eyes to find Wahag staring at her with a warm expression that shifted in a split second to a closed more reserved one.
"Lead the way," Wahag gestured.
Dow walked ahead of him, "why aren't you trying to sense it too?"
"I think the war between the fire and water is depleting my energy," Wahag tried to mask the worry and exhaustion in his voice.
Deeper into the cave, Dow felt bustling energy that reminded her of being in an open market.
"I think it's here," she reached for a book shelf and closed her eyes while dragging her fingers across them till it lingered on one which she pulled out, "is this it?"
Wahag took it and didn't hide the warm expression, "it is."
Dow felt a sudden surge of pride and she smiled big, "what are you waiting for? Open it! Let's get this over with."
Wahag's expression darkened, "I can't. It has a spell on it," Wahag pointed at some writing, "It can only be opened by a higher water being," Wahag paused.
"Sal really is a crook," the disappointment drained Dow from her prior excitement, "he'll probably say something like I promised to tell you where to find it, not how to read it." Dow's tone was shifting from disappointment to rage.
"That's probably true... but," Wahag shifted his gaze from the book to Dow, "you try to open it," he placed the large book in Dow's hands abruptly and it threatened to topple her over.
Dow held the book in both arms and sensed a weight much bigger than its physical one, "what happens if I open it?"
"Nothing. It just proves that you can't say dumb stuff about yourself anymore and expect me to be nice," Wahag shrugged playfully.
Dow took a deep breath and tugged at the cover which resisted at first, but then opened. Dow stared at the page expectantly, "this is gibberish. I can't read it," her excitement yet again chased away.
Wahag sighed, "And, I can't see what's on the pages because of the spell."
"What do we do now?"
"I don't know. But we have to move," his tone carried an unconscious sense of panic.
"I feel it too. Something horrible is coming."