5 (Bonus)

Laksh's Point Of View

Growing up next to Sanskar had me accustomed to being the second. Second to the throne, second to everything, always after him. It wasn't half bad.

Sanskar had far more restrictions than I did. When we were younger, we both had the same code of conduct to follow, but with time I slowly started going my own way, until my family gave up on me and shifted their entire focus on him. There was a way to sit, a way to eat, a way to talk for him, which is why I never quite regretted being his second. He never got to have a proper childhood.

It did however make me of less importance, even to my own parents. By the time I realised how unattached they had grown towards me, it was too late. Sanskar was already their bet for the throne and the only circumstance where I'd be even considered to take over the crown would be if I had powers and he didn't. He got his powers a little before our twentieth birthday, three years ago. I didn't mind losing the throne. By all means, he deserved it more and he clearly worked for it his entire life, but

Despite all the disparity, we were always close. I was never really jealous of him, I was upset at the way everybody else saw me. Like his shadow. I was completely fine with not getting the crown, or not being loved or respected as much as him, but sometimes I wished i was a person of my own. I wished someone saw me as an individual and not just Sanskar's brother. I wanted to be someone's only sometimes.

Nights have always been harder for me. I had always had trouble falling asleep. Most nights, I'd just wander in my palace, sometimes in the garden, sometimes in the library, but tonight was different. Tonight, I wasn't in my palace. Sanskar and I had travelled six hours, to come visit his arranged bride's Kingdom. I had expected the trip to wear me out just enough for me to doze off as soon as my head hit the pillow, but it didn't.

I tossed and turned in my bed, desperately trying to go to sleep when I heard a soft murmur outside. I walked out to see if other, normal people were awake at that hour, but i couldn't find anyone. I decided to take a walk around. All gates were shut, like they normally are in palaces, except for this one room. The gates weren't fully closed. A thin glare of nightlight emerged from this room. I walked up to the gate and slightly nudged it to open a little more.

I furrowed my eyebrows together as the interiors of the room started to get clear. Clean white drapes hanging around the visible portion of the bed, light pink and yellow interiors, the subtle scent of Jasmine in air. The room clearly belonged to a girl, and one that liked being a one. A small smile crept on my face. The type that's both a prince's biggest nightmare and his biggest dream. I was Unhealthily infatuated to the idea of her, and I hadn't even seen her yet.

A part of me wanted to push that door open and see this mystery dream girl, but I couldn't get myself to do that, because besides being illegal and indecent, it'd have taken away from the slow peeling of the onion. If I were to encounter the love of my life here, in this palace, and if she were to be this mystery dream girl, I'd want to see her for the first time, walking downstairs in a beautiful gown, oblivious to what destiny has for her at the last step, and I'd want me to be blown away at the first sight of her.

That smile didn't leave my face throughout the entirety of the night. I slowly closed the door properly and walked away from it. I spent the rest of the night, walking the floor in circles, and each time I passed her room, my smile grew wider. It felt silly, obviously, but at the same time it felt dreamy. Like it was a fairytale, and somehow I was the main character. I'd gotten my one chance to be a person of my own.

Just before the crack of dawn, as I was passing her room, I heard a faint whispering. A pit formed in my stomach as I waited for another voice to answer back. I had spent a whole night, dreaming about a girl I hadn't seen, and only now I had the realisation that she might not even be single. I got closer to the gate to hear clearly. She was breathing heavily, and probably crying. I frowned, trying to understand what was happening inside the room when I heard a loud gasp and the bed croaked somewhat. All the crying and mumbling stopped.

The next few minutes were quieter than death, the bed croaked again and after a few seconds I heard a faint singing voice.

I don't tell the air which way to blow
I'm not the master of the wind you see
And i don't tell the sea where it has to go
It goes where it's meant to be

I can't stare and set something on fire
I'm not the queen of flames you see
And I don't tell the birds which way to fly
They go where they're meant to be

The sweet angelic voice made me forget everything I was just worrying about and I leaned my back against the door with a smile. I heard her get off her bed and walk away, but i stayed where I was. Her voice grew stronger as the song went on so i could hear it even though she walked farther away. I had never heard of this song before.

What is my purpose, Why was I born first
What are my superpowers
What if I'm normal, Not paranormal
What if I have nothing to do with blooming of flowers
I might just be a common girl
Fading away in this super world
I might just be a normal girl
Does that so much lower my worth?

All I want is to be seen worthy
Even if i don't command the seas
And all i need is for someone to see
who i am and then love me for me

"I'd love you for you, princess. I promise." I whispered into the door.

I ran away with a smile on my face as I heard her rush back into her room. I have to stage a meeting with this girl and make her fall in love with me before it's time for us to departure from here. With that thought, I rushed back into my room here and now tried to get some sleep.

I got a few hours of sleep but when I woke up I was informed that Sanskar's bride had fallen ill and was not able to meet him. The news in itself didn't string any emotions in me. What did, was the commotion near that room. While I pretended to mindlessly wander in the floor again, I saw the panic. Maids rushing into that room with soup or medicines, I don't know.

All of it meant only one thing. My dream mystery girl was Sanskar's arranged bride. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello everyone!!!

Sorry for the late update, but your girl got the opportunity for living her dream!! I got to attend Miss Universe India's press conference last night (8th of May) in Delhi and so I was travelling on 7th. I returned back on 9th's morning but as someone that CANNOT travel or do normal people things, I fell ill on my way back and hence the late update :(

Anyway!!! I was reluctant to post this chapter. I want the entirety of the book to be cohesive and so I will be publishing certain chapters (that break the flow) as Bonus Chapters! If ever this book gets published like... For real, I'd make two versions -

1. The Normal Book
2. DELUXE VERSION with all the bonus chapters

Because... Taylor Swift does it hehe!

Anyway, what do you feel about the story so far?