14. You like?

Nata

In my bedroom, I stand in front of the glass closet doors in a floor-length red dress, that hugs my curves and has pleats and gatherings on the bust that make my smaller chest appear ... more. I search for a price tag in the box but find neither it nor a receipt. Although the dress resembles Kate's in color and the silkiness of the material, the quality is different. Better doesn't quite do this dress justice. If I had to guess, I'd think someone custom-made it for me, it fits so well. I turn my back to the mirror. The crisscross straps need to be straightened out, but they still accentuate my spine, and the peek-a-boo of my shoulder blades transforms my back into an art piece.

I love this dress.

There's a knock on the door. "Okay for me to come in?"

"What if I'm naked?"

"I have seen you naked," says Phillip. "Multiple times."

True, but somehow, they don't quite count. "This is different."

"How exactly is it different?"

Because my body is on fire just thinking of standing naked in front of him again. His fingers tracing the dips and curves on ... I shake my head. "I'm putting the clothes on instead of taking it off."

"I think I can manage."

I place my palms on my flaming cheeks. "What if I can't?"

"I'll help you." Phillip's voice is lower and conjures images of both of us naked on the bed, not me trying on the next dress.

I choke on the words that were supposed to be my reply. How long has it been since he actually seen me naked? My chest tightens as I try to count the days.

"So, can I come in?" Phillip repeats his original question.

"Yes." I turn my head in time to witness Phillip's smile slide off his face as his eyes rake my body.

"I love you in this dress." Phillip sets two handfuls of bags on the floor by the door and takes a step forward, only to grab the doorframe and take the same step back. The muscles on his jaw tick.

My imagination wants him to stride to me and his hands to settle on my hips and press me into him.

I want him to want me as much as I want him. I don't care about the ovulation, or whatever this dress is for. I want human physical contact. My pulse thunders in my temples. Actually, I want physical contact with Phillip. I could cut the distance between us, kiss him, drag him to my bed, and make my fantasy a reality, but I stand still. Some borders should not be crossed. I could move, I want to move, but what if that changes things between us?

"Nata." He crosses his arms over his chest. "I think we found the winner."

"I thought you wanted me to try them all?"

"Please, don't." He rubs the back of his neck, his eyes glued to my naked back. "Do you still have the red lipstick you wore to the reunion?"

"I might. Kate gifted me a set." I take several steps toward the door.

Phillip doesn't move. His gaze is on my mouth and as if it's a laser beam, I feel my lips heat.

I point at one of the straps that's bunched around the other. "Could you straighten them?"

My back to him I busy myself adjusting the ruffles on the bust. With the barest of touches Phillip's fingers run along one of the straps, separating the tangle. Fanning the fire in my stomach, my skin warms wherever his fingertips brush my skin. I'm entirely too hot for someone who's wearing light silk and not much else.