Chapter 5

Wednesday. Day 2.

I walked into my first class. A chemistry class. Sit down at a seat before the teacher enters. I glance at his identity card and see he's Mr. Nomita. What an interesting name.

"Hi, I'm Mr. Nonita and I'm your Chemistry teacher, Georgia. Today, we will work on helium."

I'm not really good at helium. Or chemistry for that matter. The entire class, I just smiled and pretended to understand. I barely listened, either. I was too focused on Kevin. What exactly would he say if he saw me at his school? At Hague Burg High School. In Hague, Connecticut. In front of him. Instead of behind him on a rectangular screen.

Some of it is making me excited, and some of it is making me worried. I remember the last time I made him angry, and that was only over the phone. It scares me to know what he'll do in real life.

During lunch, Angelina and I were sitting at the table we sat at yesterday.

"And then this one girl called me racist," I was explaining to Angelina. I still can't get over the fact that me and my idol are friends.

Somebody pinch me.

"...and then another girl said she'd tell Tyler on me so that's scary," I continued.

"They called you racist just for knowing Asian culture? That's weird."

"Right?"

"By the way, tomorrow I won't be here."

"'ight," I replied, "I wonder what Tyler would say about us being friends. He'd probably fight me and then I'd get a panic attack because he scares me when he's angry."

"I've never seen him angry," she revealed, "I thought he was physically not able to get angry."

"Oh, he gets mad, alright," I replied, "So mad that I get panic attacks."

"That bad?"

I nod. "Yep."

The rest of the day goes by quickly and before I knew it, it had been Thursday. Day 1 again. Math class.

It was lunch by the time I blinked. As I was munching on my lunch, I was thinking to myself aloud. "Hmmm..." I said, "It's about time I tell him."

I took out a paper from my bookbag and started writing on it as I said what I wrote. "Dear... Kevinga...ming...99... Roses are red...violets are violets. Hamburg is a city of Germany, I now live in your city." That makes no sense. "That doesn't even rhyme."

Before I could crumble the paper into a ball, an identity card was slammed in front of me. It kind of frightened me.

"Hold on," I said, still looking down, "I'm writing a note to a beastie saying Hamburg is a German city."

"Ahem," said a dark voice above me. I recognised it as soon as he said the 'A'.

I looked up, chuckling with my eyes closed. "That's funny. You sound just like hi-" I opened my eyes, and there he was. Tyler Kevin Nelson. Right above me.

He was just as I remembered from a face reveal 2 years ago. Black face. Handsome. Refined jawline. Amazing brown eyes.

"-m," I continued. I would've been shocked if I didn't already see it coming. I glance down at his I.D. and look stand up. I turn away quickly and face the window. "Uh, nice weather we're having today."

"Why, yes," he replied, "the weatherly sky is filled with lightning and roaring thunder loud enough to terrify even a lion."

"Cool," I say, "So coincidencely I needa go." I point at the door with my thumbs while fidgeting with my legs, moving them side to side.

Tyler grabbed me by the arm and pulled me close. I looked him in the eyes and stared at his handsome brown eyes as he stared at me.

"Hey, another coincidence," I said, breaking the silence, "You even look like my frie-"

"I'm just gonna question it," he said, interrupting me. "Why are you here, Elli? You're not supposed to be here."

I could see the anger in his eyes rise as he held me down. My anxiety levels were rising as we stared at each other, not saying a word.

"Huh?? Why??" he asked again, shaking me.

"I- well..." I stuttered, not being able to find the words I needed. "Hi, Kevin, I live here now."

Suddenly, Tyler let go of me and smiled warmingly and understandingly. He seemed more calm and relaxed now. Thank God.

"Okay, fair enough," Kevin said, "But why here exactly?"

"What do you mean?"

"It's not that common when an online best friend, who somehow knows your city and school, randomly comes into your school one day just claiming that they moved here coincidentally.

"Congratulations," I smiled, "You can summarise!" I clapped, hoping he would let it go and we could start over as just real life friends.

"I'm being serious, Elli," Kevin said, "And don't try anything."

Try anything? What exactly would I try?

I folded my arms and smirked, "What exactly would I do, Kevin?"

He groaned at me. "Oh, come on, you're not even a little excited?"

"Well," Kevin replied, "with you invading my personal life, it's hard!"

"Look, I just-"

He sighed, "Look, I'm sorry for getting angry but I just don't like the fact that you know how I look."

"Why not?" I asked, "You're black and handsome. Black people are literally amazing. And plus, I already knew your appearance from that 0.7 millisecond face reveal from the summer of 2022."

"Look, just at least pretend you don't know me." He reached out his arm for a shake and smiled, "Hi, I'm Kevin. Nice to meet you."

Going along with it, I reached out my hand and shaked his, "Hi, I'm Elli. Nice to meet you, too."

Phew. That was a better reaction than I thought.

"I totally don't know you," he said as we continue to shake hands.

"Neither do I!" I exclaim.

"Totally!" we said in unison.

"Georgia, the office wants you," said the Principal behind me and Tyler. I didn't even notice he was in the cafeteria.

"Do I need my stuff?" I asked.

"Maybe?" He replied, "Go ahead and bring it just in case."

"'ight," I replied, grabbing my stuff. I waved Kevin goodbye and headed out of the cafeteria.