Chapter six

Aislinn and Prince Nathaniel faced the first of three tasks that would decide whether Aislinn would stay in Feria or return to the mortal world. A letter came from the regents when and where they should come. Aislinn had no idea what they prepared for her, but judging by the look on Nate's face, it wasn't good. She would ask him what was written in the letter, but after their last argument, they did not talk again. Nathaniel also seemed to have given up on wasting words that she wouldn't answer.

The morning of their first task came. Aislinn couldn't sleep all night. She sat in the window and watched the night sky. Thousands of stars decorated the ebony heavens like the brightest jewels. The full moon illuminated the vast gardens. Little fairies resembling fireflies bathed in its light. The whisper of the wind eventually lulled her to sleep.

"Aislinn." Karsyn shook her gently. "Aislinn, it's time to get up."

Aislinn lazily opened her eyes. The sharp rays of the morning sun stung into her face. The sun was just rising from behind the distant horizon formed by the forest line.

"You need to wake up Aislinn. Today you have your first task." she woke her from a sound sleep.

"I know. I didn't forget." Aislinn answered tiredly. She wanted to close her eyes and not open them for the next two hundred years.

"Did you find the bed uncomfortable when you fell asleep in the window?" Karsyn joked, lightening the mood.

"I couldn't sleep," Aislinn said with a fleeting smile on her lips. She looked at Karsyn with concern. "I had to constantly think about what awaits me today. What will the task be."

"Prince Nathaniel didn't tell you anything?" Karsyn wondered.

"We don't talk," Aislinn said.

"Again?"

"Again."

Karsyn gave Aislinn a sympathetic smile. She had hoped that in that time they would finally get closer, but instead, they seemed to fight more and more each day.

"A faun's labyrinth awaits you. It is a very dangerous place. Even the fae lords have respect before entering it. Many never came out again." Karsyn informed her of the task before her. "Prince Nathaniel is worried about you. No human has yet come out of the faun's labyrinth."

"In that case, I'll be the first one," Aislinn said confidently, though she didn't quite believe herself.

They mounted their horses and set off towards the faun's labyrinth to the west. Prince Nathaniel rode his black stallion in the lead, Aislinn galloping close behind. Karsyn was galloping next to her. Her golden hair was blowing in the wind. She urged Aislinn to go make up with Prince Nathaniel, but she refused. She was too proud for that.

They were getting closer. Dark clouds covered turquoise skies. An unnatural silence echoed across the land. A cold wind was blowing. As if all joy would disappear from the world. And in that, the high walls of the hedge maze loomed before them.

"Does it always look so gloomy in here?" Aislinn asked.

"We are in the dark territory on the border of the Sun and Moon Court." Prince Nathaniel replied. "Even the most powerful fairies are wary when crossing this territory. It's dangerous here, so be careful, Aislinn," he said.

"If it's as dangerous here as you say, then what are we doing here?" the question remained hanging in the air.

After a moment of silence, Prince Nathaniel replied, "This is the price of your freedom. We can still turn it around if you don't want it anymore."