Chapter elven

Karsyn led Aislinn down a narrow path between the trees. Streams of light penetrated through the dense crowns. Green leaves flickered in the gentle breeze. A golden doe ran in the distance ahead of them. Her fur was shining beautifully. Aislinn stopped for a moment to admire her beauty. She stepped on a branch that had fallen to the ground, it broke with a crack and the shy doe ran away.

"If you go back to the mortal world, you will never see this again," said Karsyn.

"I just want to have a choice, Karsyn. But you don't give me much of a choice," Aislinn replied.

"So you haven't made up your mind yet?" asked a surprised Karsyn.

"Why do I get the feeling you're mad at me?" Aislinn said.

"I am," she replied. "Prince Malachy only wants to use you, and when you are no longer useful to him, he will hurt you."

"I know, I should stay as far away from him as the latitude allows," she rolled her eyes in annoyance.

She was already annoyed by how everyone was telling her what she should and shouldn't do. She can judge someone's character herself.

"I don't want to talk about it anymore," Aislinn said and they moved on.

Karsyn led Aislinn out from among the sea of trees. They found themselves in a clearing in the middle of the forest, in the shape of a circle. The trees that lined it stretched to a height. Their branches reached for the turquoise heavens, longing to engulf them. It reminded Aislinn of the dream that started it all.

"Where are we?" Aislinn asked.

"Fairy circle," answered Karsyn. "There are places that can transport you to other realms. The fairy circle is one of them."

"Are you showing me a way to escape from here?" she raised her eyebrows in question and smirked.

"You don't have the magic to do that, so I'm not worried about it," she returned her smile.

Karsyn grabbed Aislinn's hand. At first, nothing happened, but then the wind started. A strong wind blew her hair in her face. Its gusts howled like ghosts. The world around began to flicker and dissolve. The images of the worlds merged into each other. The pleasant air full of the scent of flowers was replaced by hot, humid air. The clear sky darkened. First one drop fell, then two, three. It was lightly drizzling. The rain was cold. Aislinn shuddered. The landscape in front of them changed. She recognized it.

She ran forward into the trees. The hem of her dress was soaked by standing water and stained with mud. Her wet hair stuck to her face. She heard Karsyn running after her, calling her.

"Aislinn, where are you running?"

Wild nature has opened up to a tamed landscape. A small house stood in front of her. In her memories, she remembered it as beautiful and cozy. Like from a fairytale. But now it looked neglected. The ivy hid most of the structure under its thick growth. The once richly planted flower beds were overgrown with weeds. The fence was falling apart. Aislinn just stared blankly at her old home.

Karsyn finally caught up with her. "Aislinn."

"What happened here?" she asked with sadness in her voice.

"A moment in Feria can seem like an eternity in the mortal world," Karsyn said sympathetically.

"How long has it been since I came to Feria?" Karsyn asked.

"Not much," she replied. "Time passes irregularly. Sometimes faster and sometimes slower."

"How much, Karsyn?"