Chapter ten

As soon as Aislinn woke up, she went looking for Senan. Who better to help her than him? He knew everything. He was like an omniscient book. She believed he would know where to look.

As usual, she found him in the library, where he spent most of his time. He was sitting at his desk, rummaging through old books that were gathering dust. He absorbs new information or repeats what he already knows. Aislinn knew she would find him either there or somewhere out there looking for something new to explore. Aislinn was his favorite object of interest. She was human. She grew up among humans. Senan was interested in the mortal world. And Aislinn was happy to tell him about the place where she was born. Senan often told her that he would not be able to live among people. He said that they live in disharmony with nature, are impure, inexplicably like to hurt themselves and their priorities are wrong. Aislinn didn't deny any of that, but she also told him that not everyone was like that, she was proof of that after all.

Aislinn sat next to Senan who was engrossed in his book and said, "I need your help."

Senan paid attention to her. "What do you need help with?" he asked her.

"The regents honored us with their presence last night," she said with venom on her tongue. "and they assigned us our second task."

"After all, it seemed to me that something disturbed the peace here at night." he smiled fleetingly. "What did they ask for?"

"We have to find a certain object. Ring. It is made of iron and decorated with a blood ruby. It is said to be able to give a mortal eternal youth in the mortal world. It can be anywhere in Feria or the mortal world." Aislinn said.

"If this magical item was created in Feria, which it most likely was, then I should be able to help you," he replied.

Senan got up from the table and went among the shelves overflowing with books. He disappeared from her sight for a moment. Senan then came out with a stack of books in his hands and placed them in front of Aislinn.

"One of these might help you find what you're looking for. They talk about all the magical items ever made in Feria. They're not all, but it might be enough for you to start with." said Senan. "I don't know the ring you're talking about, but I'll try to help you."

"Thank you," Aislinn said, taking the books from Senan.

Aislinn spent the next few days digging through the books Senan had given her. They were thick and contained a lot of information about a lot of magical items. There she found a cloak of invisibility, a pouch full of gold that never runs out, arrows that never miss their target, a stone that can transport you to any place on earth you can think of or a necklace that will bring infinite beauty to its wearer.

The conclusions were the same for every single one of the magic items – no matter how powerful your spirit is, it's only a matter of time, but sooner or later their power will consume you and your mind will crumble. And for that reason, the ancient ancestors of the Feria and humans labeled them as dangerous. They locked them in special places where they could no longer harm anyone. In places where no one will ever find them and no force can reach them.

However, some magical items were also harmless. Among them was, for example, the royal crown of the Highest court of Feria. It gave its wearer power over the entire Feria. Only the rightful king could wear it on his head. It reminded Aislinn of the legend of King Arthur, when only the rightful king could pull the sword from the stone. However, this crown kills the false king as soon as he puts it on his head. Several tried it and convinced themselves of the truth of the warning. And always and only the last king determines the terms of succession. Just as Nathaniel's father had decreed that only his son with a mortal queen could become a king.