Chapter 14 The Jungle

They left that day. Ming carried Jie in his arms as they flew through the jungle, allowing them to move at incredible speeds while Jie sat cultivating.

When she'd cultivated for as long as she usually would, they stopped.

"Alright, kiddo," Ming said, "I promised to teach you a new skill and I will. Then you can practice and train it along with your dragonfist technique."

Jie smiled. "What are you teaching me this time? Maybe something defensive?" she asked with eager eyes.

Ming smiled and patted her on the head. "Why would I waste your time with defensive techniques? No, this is a movement skill. Although, I suppose you could say it's somewhat defensive as it'll help you to evade attacks. And perhaps to escape from more powerful experts.

"Unless of course, they're too far above your cultivation, or they have movement skills of their own..." he said thoughtfully before waving his hand as though dismissing such thoughts and returning to the topic at hand, "The movement skill I'm giving you is exceptionally rare and powerful. It isn't simple in the slightest, but with how quickly you learned the dragonfist skill... I doubt that'll be a problem."

He opened the box and fished around inside it for a bit. "Ah, here we go," he said.

He pulled out another scroll and laid it out for her.

There were far more diagrams and instructions for this scroll and multiple tiers of complexity to it. Just from glancing at it for a second, Jie understood that with each layer of understanding, the skill would become vastly more powerful and more of its potential would be unlocked.

It was far more difficult than the Dragonfist skill, and that made her salivate at the thought of it.

At the top of the scroll, in neat calligraphy was the name: Lightning Step.

Jie memorized the contents of the scroll, which took her twice as long as the dragonfist skill.

When she had it memorized down to every letter of the fine print, she closed her eyes and meditated on it.

She revolved it within her mind. Not attempting to perform the skill just yet, but rather seeking to understand its many complexities.

This skill was far more internal than the dragonfist technique, and it could be activated without revealing it. It was complex but the basic premise was simple, she could use this technique to reinforce her body with qi in a way that improved her speed.

There was far more to it, and the scroll had seven tiers of understanding. With each tier, the skill became more powerful.

The latter tiers even allowed her to create copies of herself that would explode on contact.

But, to get there, she would first have to master what came before. She revolved it all in her mind, calmly studying the technique over and over again and unraveling its secrets.

Jie opened her eyes, stood up, and dusted herself off.

"Remember, kiddo. Don't be sad if you don't get it the first time, okay? This technique is incredibly difficult, and it's only the second one you're learning. Don't be too hard on yourself," Ming said.

Jie nodded and willed her qi to flow in the pattern she memorized.

It filled her body with its crackling energy, and she let out a slow, deep breath.

She tensed and then dashed forward, rushing through the jungle at a speed that far outstripped anything she'd experienced with her own two legs.

Branches, leaves and the wind whipped her face, and she let out a whooping cry.