Chapter 34 Verdict

The next day, when Jie went to Elder Shi for more training, she was worried that perhaps the elders had finally managed to get back on topic and had decided to expel her.

She couldn't care less about the academy, especially after seeing how they treated their students. But, she wanted a chance at revenge, and more importantly, she didn't want to worry Ming. He had more than enough on his plate already.

Jie stepped into the dojo and found Elder Shi seated in a cultivation position. Elder Shi smiled as Jie entered.

"Welcome back," Elder Shi said without opening her eyes.

"So... what happened?" Jie asked.

Elder Shi's grin broadened. "Whatever do you mean?" she asked.

"You know very well what I mean," Jie said.

Elder Shi laughed and opened her eyes. "Everything went smoothly. The other elders got so busy arguing over anything and everything else, and so well reminded of the scores they wished to settle against one another that you slipped their minds. If not for a quick motion by me to make sure they said nothing of note happened, they'd never have addressed it at all. But, it's best not to leave loose ends," she said.

"So... everything is fine? I can still participate in the tournament?" Jie asked.

"Yes," Elder Shi said, "though you'll need to get quite a bit stronger if you wish to ridicule him the way I know you do."

Jie bowed. "Of course," she said, "by the way... could you teach me how to do what you did to the elders?"

Elder Shi laughed, a rich vibrant laughter. "That takes practice. Are you willing to spend less time cultivating and more time socializing?" she asked.

"No," Jie said, "I'm not."

Elder Shi's smile lingered on her lips, but her eyes looked deep and penetrating as though she were trying to peel back all of Jie's secrets.

"Just remember my warning about seeking revenge at all costs. You end up missing out on your life along the way," Elder Shi said.

"Like you?" Jie asked.

Elder Shi's eyes widened ever so slightly before returning to normal in an instant. "What are you talking about?" she asked.

"You keep speaking about it, and I've seen the look in your eye. I can also sense you're far stronger than many of the other elders. And, whenever you look at a member of The Chen family, you look like you want to drown them in blood," Jie said.

Elder Shi's smile turned rigid and unnatural. Her gaze was frosty. "You're perceptive, aren't you?" she said.

Jie shrugged. "So are you going to answer my question?" she asked.

"Perhaps," Elder Shi said, "but not now. You have a tournament to focus on. Just remember my words..."

"I do," Jie said, "and I'm telling you... I don't cultivate for revenge."

"What then?" Elder Shi asked, "Do you take me for a fool? You're a gifted cultivator, but you train and cultivate as though your life depends on it."

"Because it does," Jie said.

"But not revenge?" Elder Shi asked.

"No," Jie said, "I've had my revenge."

"You... already? But you're still just a child, and so weak. How?" Elder Shi asked.

"I had help," Jie said, "Is that why you want to train me? Do you need help?"

Elder Shi opened and closed her mouth like a goldfish.