1| The Apple Tree

After leaving a trail of blood-red footprints on the snow-filled road stretched out before me, uncertainty and doubt shrouds my vision.

From afar, over there stands a lone apple tree besides a small lake, almost caressing the feet of the tree. Its branches drape bright rubies and a sweet aroma pollutes the air instantly.

Somewhere, a voice so honey-dr
ip
pl
in
g

beckons me to quickly sink my teeth through the skin of one of the apples.

'A deception, it's lying.'

A languid feeling pricks my stomach and with bruised knees digging into the dirt, I bend over the silvery reflection-
searching for an answer frantically.

A faceless silhouette glares back, mimicking every movement of my hands. I avert my head, avoiding its knowing gaze.

'A deception, they're all lies.'

As if gleefully observing the situation, it forces an apple hanging on a perch to lean in towards me; it whispers something, promising me that I would do no harm, I wouldn't taint anything.

'A deception. Lies and lies.'

The apple's cool smooth skin grazed upon my burning fingertips. Should I glance back at the path I've devotedly embarked on and abandoned?

"No, don't glance back. Where did it take you?" It questioned. "Will the price be worth it at the end?" I don't know, I don't know where I am heading. The decisions I took, will it truly be worth it until the end?

"Forget about the colorless decisions you chose. What are you to gain out of them? Is this the life you desire?" The voice rang in such a soft cadence.

With lips trembling, I draw the apple nearer and nearer as its questions piled on questions and until hesitation's iron grip loosens.

I close in until nectar starts trickling down my chin. The first fall of innocence. The beginning of belated regrets.

The green satin hung over my eyes finally falls as numbness cuts off the strings of consciousness, entrusting it all to obscurity and ignorance.