Part 16: King Aryn

Viktor stubbed out his cigarette, the acrid smell fitting accompaniment to the sour mood hanging between them. Emily sat rigidly on the park bench, her back ramrod straight against the table. He glanced at Emily, staring into the distant city before them. Not a word was spoken between them, but the silence was loud.

"Emily, I'm sorry I yelled. I'm going through so much. It's not just about Lea, and I wish I could tell you everything, but I can't." He put his head between his knees. 

Emily snapped a piercing look at Viktor and then back to the city lights. "You know you can tell her the truth. I'm mad at you because you wouldn't do it."

"It wasn't the right time." He said quietly. 

Emily finally turned to him, her light blue eyes narrowed. "It will never be the right time, will it?" She scoffed. "Mhmm, always going to be the other woman. You cheated on her with me; would you do the same to me?" 

Viktor looked at Emily. A muscle ticked in Viktor's jaw. "No. Of course not." He reached out to her to touch her. Emily flinched at his touch, a flicker of hurt replacing the anger in her eyes.

"I don't like this feeling. Maybe this is a mistake, Viktor," she whispered, her voice barely audible."Maybe we can't do this. Us; anymore." Emily looked down at the ground, kicking her feet in the dirt. 

The weight of her words hung heavy in the air. Viktor knew she was right. "I don't want to give up on us," he said, his voice cracking. 

"Viktor, you know we should. You have a freaking child running around here. You have to deal with Lea for the rest of your life." Tears began to run down Emily's face. "I can't do this." She sighed and began to walk away. 

Viktor gently grabbed her arm. "Emily, wait. We can't just end like this. I love you," his voice cracked with desperation.

Emily paused. "We just have to," she said, breaking free from Viktor's grasp. A choked sob escaped her lips as she turned and walked away, leaving Viktor alone with the weight of his burdens and the fading echo of her love.

Viktor purchased a hotel and woke up the next day to visit Lea. Viktor stood outside the mediocre hotel suite, the polished vinyl floor reflecting his nervous energy. He waited for a taxi and was dropped off at Lea's apartment. Taking a deep breath, he knocked on the door.

It creaked open a sliver, revealing Lea's tired face. Her curly black hair was pulled back in a messy bun, highlighting the dark circles under her eyes. In her arms, a chubby baby boy gurgled contentedly, oblivious to the tension in the air.

"Viktor," Lea said, her voice flat. She didn't move to let him in.

Viktor felt a pang of guilt. "Lea, I can explain..." he began, his voice trailing off when she pursed her lips tightly, a gesture that mirrored the baby's frown etched on the little face.

The silence stretched thick with unspoken emotions. Viktor could see the anger simmering beneath the surface of Lea's exhaustion. He longed to hold his son and feel that tiny connection, but he hesitated, unsure of his welcome.

"Can I come in?" he asked finally, his voice barely a whisper.

Lea's eyes narrowed, and she pushed the door open wider.  

Viktor pushed the door closed. Shame gnawed at him as he met Lea's tired eyes. "Lea, I'm so sorry. I know this isn't what you imagined, and I should have been honest from the start. I was a coward for keeping my feelings for Emily a secret, and by doing so, I betrayed the trust you placed in me." He took a deep breath, his voice thick with emotion. "I know this hurts you in ways I can't express, and I take full responsibility for that pain. Please, Lea, don't let my mistakes affect our son. I want to be there for him and you if you let me. I don't deserve it, but I truly want to be a part of both your lives."