Moments

An awkward silence ensued...

"Did I say something wrong..?", asked Devika in a small voice.

The question managed to break Medhasvini's stunned state and put her into fits.

"That was a good one.", she said while wiping of a non-existent tear. But the solemn look on Avyukt's face quietened her down.

"Wait....this wasn't a joke.....", she spoke with realisation. 

Devika slowly shook her head.

"Please excuse me, I need to go", Kridha got up with an expressionless face took their leave, quickening her pace with each step. Honestly speaking, she didn't know how to feel about it.... what she did know was that she didn't feel repulsed by the idea. What really made her seem so, was the disbelief....the guy who supposedly disliked her till a few days back never actually did. 

"Medhasvini! Please...wait.", the desperation in Avyukt's voice seemed to automatically put a stop to her steps as she halted midway without her will.

"Don't mind Devika's words, she is still young, has no filter to what she is saying.", Avyukt tried to make all kinds of plausible excuses.

"So you don't think I'm beautiful?", Medha mentally kicked herself, seeing the surprise on his face, suddenly aware of how disappointed she sounded.

"No...I mean yes...maybe...I don't know, whatever you want.", he tripped on his words.

Her expression softened. She put a hand on his shoulder and said,

"I want to know the truth."

The time seemed to have become still around them as they stood staring into each other's eyes, looking for answers none could really say.

"I thought you were beautiful even when you were sitting on mud", he answered after what felt like an eternity, "But you don't feel the same way, so you can forget this ever happened.", he went back to find his hands the most interesting thing ever.

"When did I say that?", her words rekindled the hope in Avyukt's heart. He looked up again, anticipating what she says next.

"I don't know you well enough to pass any judgement, so I definitely need more time to think.", Kridha carefully chose her words.

Avyukt's face lit up like a Christmas tree, his brain already going through all kinds of ideas on how to convince her that he wasn't really a bad guy.

"Well, you are already my friend and usually when princesses become friends with me, they fall in love.", he smirked, thinking it was a great start. Only for Medha to frown slightly and give a hestitant smile,

"Your jest is noted."

Avyukt found himself alone, already cursing the way he flirted with her.

"Good job, Avyukt. She gave you a chance and you literally scared her away. It's time to bring out the gentleman in me, not like I am not one now, just more of it is required. What am I even saying...she undoubtedly driving me crazy...", he murmured to himself, scratching his head.

Looking around to see if anyone heard his little rant, he heaved a sigh of relief and departed for his room.

"Jiji, are you done?", Subhadra whined as Medha's '5 more minutes' turned into thirty.

"Almost", she replied, applying the colour from a dried rose petal on her lips. Subhadra raised her eyebrows.

"How come you're so worried about your looks today? You barely even take ten minutes, I'm usually the one who is told to get ready faster....".