For A Reason

"May I know the reason of such a step?", asked Ved Vyas, ever so serene.

This made Medha a little uncomfortable, second guessing her decision.....but she was known to stand her ground through thick and thin so she wasn't going to back off anytime soon.

"Maharishi, you are more well versed with the ways of the universe than anybody else here. Nothing remains unknown to you. My intention is ever so little, to banish this ritual which objectifies women. We aren't a gift which can be given and taken as a person pleased. We are made to seem like someone's property, people fail to realise that are our own people, we have an identity too. Women don't belong to anyone, she chooses to be with people, blessing them with her presence, but it feels like they aren't even given the choice.", by the end, Kridha was breathing heavily.

A soft chuckle from Ved Vyas himself broke the hushed silence, at the irony of her first sentence. This made Medha indignant, her eyes becoming steely with resolve.

"While I understand where you are coming from, Putri, and I can't disagree with some of your statements, but I must say that you have not fully recognized the significance of this ritual. It not kanya ka daan...it is kanya ka adan. It is when the father of the bride is handing over the responsibility of her wellbeing in exchange of his trust. It is a thing of pride for the groom, a moment of self-reassurance for the parents and a sense of security for the bride.", he took his time to emphasis on the true meaning of kanyadaan to her but it wasn't just her listening to it in awe.

The fire in the mandap crackled away as Medhasvini felt her mistake sink in. Everyone around felt almost afraid to break the fragile stillness. 

A hand on her shoulder startled her out of her thoughts. Her anxious eyes fell met Avyukt's worried ones. The afraid and defeated expression on her face broke his heart a little.

"It's alright Rajkumari, everyone makes mistakes. The fact that you are open to being corrected and correct it, says a lot.", Avyukt tried to keep his voice to a whisper but considering the amount of people under whose scrutiny she was in, he felt it would be better to keep it formal.

Kridha turned to Balram, still sporting a frown and looked at him with an apologetic gaze. He shook his head a little, alarmed at what she was implying. 

Not caring about anyone's judgmental comments, which had already started spreading, she walked up to him and sat down to his level.

"It's fine.", she tried to assure him in her soft voice.

"I can't do this.", Balram replied in a 'my word is final' tone.

"You must, or else-"

"You should have thought of that before you took my promise.", his words took her by surprise slightly. Regret flashed across him face in an instant.

"Jiji-"

She suddenly stood up and with a fire in her eyes more fierce than the one in front.

"Very well then, I curse everyone who makes a promise on my command. I curse the promises made with the ill fate of being broken. Keeping Agni Dev as my witness, if he wishes that I should amend my errors then this curse will bear fruit."

Everyone gasped, the whispers going around intensified but nothing could break Aadya's stance for what was done....was done.

"The wedding can proceed now can it not?", she asked, a nervous waver evident in her voice.

Ved Vyas nodded with a proud smile and continued chanting the mantras. On her way down she made sure to apologise to King Kakudmi.

He put his hand on her head as if blessing her and replied,