Chapter-1

Haile's P.O.V

The sun had set half an hour ago making the evening sky look warm and leaving a residual glow. Unlike other days I got to leave work early for once. It was because there was a team dinner which meant my downtime.

I worked at the crappiest company ever to exist. However, had I been not that much in the financial crisis I'm sure I'd have easily gotten into a bigger company. I made my way to the subway quickly. I'd already texted Bella about hitting the bar.

Bella Anderson, exuberant, energetic and bubbly, is none other than my best friend for life. We met during high school and are still going strong as bff.

Bella and I share an apartment. It's not that big but we love it. Due to our different work schedules, we barely have time to just chill and have fun. Nevertheless, since it was her day off we decided to hit the bar.

I reached the Jazz Club and texted Bella.

Me: I've arrived. Wbu?

Bel: What?! Wait, I'm almost there.

Me: You're late, again!

Bel: Ik, all drinks on me. *wink emoji*

I put my phone back in my purse and made my way through the crowd to reach the bar to order a martini. Since I was alone it made me reflect on my life decisions. How did I even reach this point?

My earnings were stable enough for me to run my family. But my workplace was like shit. The senior workers liked to bully others. I was one of the few bullied. They either made me run their errands or left their paperwork for me to complete which is why I usually go home at 9 o'clock.

My home wasn't the safest place either. The street turned super creepy late at night. I once got pushed over by an old drunk man. He couldn't harm me or try anything inappropriate since I kicked him off and left as fast as I could. Life sure was-

"I'm so- fucking sorry Haile." hard. A flushed Bella appeared who was too out of breath. I asked the bartender for some water and handed it to Bella, uncapping the bottle. She gulped half of the water like a camel.

"Oh my gosh! I felt like I was gonna die now." I rolled my eyes as a reply, dramatic as always.

"You're 15 minutes late. You better make it up or I'm putting spiders in your bed tonight." I gulped the rest of my martini while my dumb bff just stared at me in disbelief.

"You wouldn't." She gasped, faking tears.

"Try me."

The rest of the night passed in a blur with us surrendering to the music, dancing with unending joy and carefree abandon.

We returned home very late that night. Both of us were hammered out of our minds. The last thing that I remember before passing out was Bella puking all over our carpet, I helped her get cleaned and then everything turned dark.

My alarm blared eliciting a groan from me. I hate work. No, you don't. Yes, I do. I woke up with a banging headache. Why the hell did I drink again? My head felt like a construction site. Ughhhhhhhhh!

I freshened up quickly. There was no time to waste. I still have to wait in a freaking line to get some coffee for the seniors. Like always I left my apartment at 7 o'clock sharp or else I'd have to wait in line for a longer hour.

Hastily, I made my way to the subway. The day had an odd vibe. I found myself tripping frequently on my walk, yet surprisingly, there was no line at the subway. It felt too good to be true.

Usually on such days my luck either decides to bless me or cause an unfortunate disaster. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the best to come.

I made my way to my office. Hanging my coat on my chair, I went out to greet others. Since I arrived early today I decided to do as much as I could. Maybe I'll get to leave earlier like yesterday. The thought alone makes me smile like a fool.

During lunchtime, I quickly went out to grab lunch for the seniors. They all had different food choices, especially Erick. He held the position of our department head. But he had a reputation for being unpleasant and inappropriate. No one dares to mess with him. I make sure to keep my distance from him.

Walking back from the cafe my mind drifted back to the events of yesterday. Everything feels blurred and hazy. I can't seem to recall anything clearly except a certain pair of brown eyes. Despite the haze, one memory stands out vividly, the distinct scent of wood and leather. It belonged to....a guy.

Who was he?....

How was it? I already had my draft ready. I've a few more chapters prepared in advance which I'll try to publish timely on either Friday or Saturday from now onwards. I've to make a good bookcover. *sighs* Adios!