Chapter-3

Jarek's P.O.V

Before my alarm could blare the fuck out of my patience, I woke up quickly and went for my morning run. Living in the most well-secured penthouse in LA was a luxury but finding a park to jog was not. The well-known residential area of LA did not have a fucking park for joggers. So I went for a run just aimlessly. My goal was clear: to run for 10 kilometres. 

After one hour, I came back home, took a quick shower and dressed up in a suit. I stepped out of my room to the dining room where a variety of food was served, the delicious aroma filling the air. Too bad nothing topped my black coffee.

"Morning Jarry!" My mom chirped as I entered the room. I rolled my eyes at the nickname. I have always hated that name. No matter how many times I have told her to stop calling me she still calls me that. 

"Morning," I grunted, taking a seat and motioning for the server to serve my coffee. 

"No, Lilly, you can leave. I'll take care of his coffee today." My mom said, smiling warmly at the nervous girl waiting for my command. I nodded my head and she took it as her cue to leave. 

"Poor girl must be so scared of you." Mom spoke distractedly, picking up a butter knife and a toast. She prepared her toast while I poured myself black coffee. The first sip made me fully awake and ready for my day. 

"Why are you here?" I sipped my coffee, staring directly in her direction. She made two mistakes; looking away while greeting me and fidgeting up on her freshly manicured nails. She thought I wouldn't notice that.

As I continued to stare at her blankly she finally broke the silence, "You probably know about my friend Jeremy right?" I nodded and clipped my hands together. 

"We have been thinking for some time that you are getting older. His daughter recently came back from completing her studies. How about-" I raised my brows, daring her to continue. 

"Why, Jerry? It's about time that you get married." She finally stopped sugar-coating her words. 

"Mom, we have talked about this. Not again." I said, sipping my coffee, trying to keep my tone neutral despite the frustration starting to bubble inside me. A lecture in the early morning was the last thing I needed. She opened her mouth to argue, but an incoming call from my phone saved me. She glared at me and I shook my head, as a gesture for her to understand, before I made my escape to the office. 

Today I opted for my Mercedes to drive. As I ignited the engine, it roared to life. Smirking, I made my way through the city streets, disregarding countless red lights along the way. Time was a luxury I couldn't afford to waste on such trivial matters. I reached my office within 10 minutes and parked at the reserved parking spot for me. 

As soon as I entered the building, everyone stopped in their track to greet me. I did not bother acknowledging anyone as I made my way towards my private elevator. My assistant Amily was already there waiting for me with her iPad containing my schedule for the day.

As I approached she greeted me and began briefing me about my schedule. We entered the elevator and ascended to my private floor, accessible only to selected trusted employees. 

I entered my office. The room was impeccably organised, with minimalist furniture. The walls were shades of grey and black, devoid of any personal touch. Taking a seat behind the desk, I switched on my computer, ready to dive into the day's work. 

Suddenly, Ryder burst into my office with an over-energetic, "Sup?" Ryder Slate, COO of Dawson Dynamics Inc., is the one person whose relentless energy I can tolerate. With his never-ending enthusiasm and exceptional work strategies, he brings vigorous changes to the team that even I admit, serves us well.

"Have you finalised the deal with the Heathers?" I asked as Ryder took a seat on the couch, munching on the bunch of snacks. 

"What do you think?" He said, popping a gummy bear in his mouth. One thing about Ryder is that he never procrastinates with his work, no matter how much of a goofy person he is. 

"Let's go out for lunch today, shall we?" He said. I kept on working before muttering a small, "Why?" 

"I'm bored of the cafeteria's usual lunch. Pretty please." He replied, making weird faces.  I glanced at him before commenting, "You suck at this."

"I'm better than you tho." He spoke, rolling his eyes. "Anyways, I know you love me too much to say no." 

"Get. Out."  

During lunchtime, Ryder came into my cabin and dragged me out with him, "Let's go, you had promised me, Jarek." 

"I never did." I retorted, pushing him away from me and made my way toward my Mercedes. 

"Wait for me, asshole!" He exclaimed, sprinting to catch up and hopped into the car. I glanced at him, raising my eyebrows, "Where to, sir?" 

"Ohh right!" He set the location on the GPS and we made our way. 

Reaching the restaurant was a 15-minute drive. As we stepped inside, the loud atmosphere from outside disappeared into an atmosphere of sophistication. All eyes turned toward us as we entered and the manager hurried over to greet us, guiding us further toward the VIP section of the restaurant.

We sat at a table by the window which offered a view of the busy streets of LA. As the waiter presented the menu, Ryder's excitement increased. His eyes were darting from one menu to another. Despite my initial reluctance, I couldn't help but feel a sense of amusement at Ryder's childlike behaviour. It was one of the things I appreciated most about him; his ability to find joy in the simplest things.

While Ryder busied himself with ordering a bunch of dishes, I glanced outside and noticed a commotion across the street. It seemed like a fight was going on. I was about to look away when a familiar blonde caught my attention. I stared hard to see if I had been right. Squinting I realised that it was indeed that girl from the club.

The world is too small it seems...

I'm not feeling well for the past few days so late update ://