Chapter-4

Haile's P.O.V

I have been awake for the past two hours. Sleep had escaped from me since the moment I received a call from my mother. Two words, "Haile, your father.." Those two words held enough power to shatter my peace, sending my heart racing and my palms sweating. 

My mother could not finish her sentence as she broke into tears and left me in icy suspense. Then Uncle Zane's voice broke the tension, "Haile, don't worry. Malvick's fine now." Uncle Zane reassured me from the other side of the phone. 

But I couldn't shake off the anxiety. "W-what happened?" I murmured. Different worst scenarios played out in my mind. I was not sure what I would learn but I did not want to stay in the dark anymore unlike in the past. My parents kept my father's health a secret until the symptoms became too obvious for me to not notice. 

Then one day they dropped the bomb that my father had been suffering from Stage II lung cancer. I remember running away from home, crying. I had screamed at my fate and cried until my throat started to hurt. After that day, I made them promise me that no matter how trivial a matter it was, they would have to share it with me. 

"Nothing, my child. Trust me. Malvick fainted suddenly, so we took him to the hospital. Elle got worried and decided to call you." Uncle Zane explained. 

"How is he now?" I asked, wiping away my tears, desperate to talk to my dad. 

"He's alright, just sleeping. Here, Haile, your mom wants to talk to you." 

"Haile-" Her voice cracked with tears. "Shhh, mom. It's alright. Dad's gonna be alright. Please don't cry." I had tried to console her when in reality even I was doubting whether everything was alright or not. 

"Haile, I'm so sorry. I couldn't take better care of your dad, baby. I'm so sorry." She kept apologising even though it wasn't her fault. It was no one's fault. After comforting my mother, I offered to come to Boston but she insisted dad was fine. 

Since then I have been in my bed, awake, imagining the worst scenarios, crying and praying silently for my dad's well-being. While I was drowning in my sadness, the morning alarm rang. I shut it off, wiped my eyes and went for a quick shower. I cannot let Bella see me like this. She will get worried for no reason. I hurriedly got dressed and left for the office extra early. 

Even during the workday, I couldn't shake off my worries. No matter how strong I might appear in front of my family, I still was my dad's little girl who taught me how to smile, and walk, helped and consoled me whenever I fell. How could I ever bear the thought of a world without him? 

"Haile?" Someone whisper yelled at me. How long were they calling me for? I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at the front to find Erick glaring at me. I was confused for a moment before I regained my composure, muttering a small apology, and trying to refocus on the ongoing meeting. 

After the meeting, Mary approached me, "Girl, what were you thinking?" I shrugged her off. "Haile, you know how pissed off Erick was at you?" She glared at me. 

"Let him be. I'm not in the mood please leave me alone Mary." I said, making my way towards my cubicle. She sighed, "What's wrong with you Haile? Did something happen?" 

"Even if it did, it has nothing to do with you. Leave me alone, please!" I snapped, retreating to my cubicle. I felt guilty for my rudeness but I couldn't handle anyone else's concern right now. I tugged my hair with full force and let out a frustrated scream once I was inside my cubicle. Once I'd calmed down, I went out to buy lunch for the seniors. And, I needed a distraction; walking always helped me clear my mind.

 As I walked the thoughts again resurfaced my mind. I almost crashed into a child due to my carelessness. No Haile stop thinking and focus on the road. But to no use, my thoughts again drifted back to my dad. I made a right turn and was about to cross the road when suddenly a woman came crashing into me. The impact was so hard that I fell on my butt. 

"Can't you watch where you are going?" She shouted, blaming me for the collision.

"Miss, you are the one who came crashing into me, not the other way round," I said, getting up. She faked and gasped, "Oh my gosh! Why would I do that?" By this time a crowd had formed beside us. I carefully observed the lady, her freshly painted red nails, the short dress that almost left her one boob out and the fake Chanel bag were enough to evaluate that she was an attention seeker,  the one with whom you were always asked to stay away from. 

So I did the sensible thing, "Miss, even though it was you who came and pushed me, I'd still like to say sorry. Let's not drag it." I freaking apologised when it wasn't my fault. But a street fight was the last thing I needed today. 

"What do you mean bitch? It was your fault." She finally started to show her real colours. "Look, you even broke my phone!" Well well did I? Even if I did, was it my fault? That's it bitch has crossed the line. Time to show her the real Haile Katz! Go, Haile! You got this! Yes, time to act like a badass to a bad bitch. 

I stepped to move forward however a towering figure stepped in suddenly, shielding me from that crazy woman. The familiar scent of wood and leather hit my nostrils. I momentarily closed my eyes to bask in its warmth until it hit me. I opened my eyes realising, it was indeed the brown-eyed guy. 

The world feels incredibly small in moments like these, doesn't it?

That's it! Cut!