Welcome back, stranger.

You guessed it, another day, another shift. Y/n jumps up as the sound of her alarm pierces through her ears. She didn't get much sleep last night. She just can't seem to get "Francis" off her mind - the happenings of the previous day were just too much for her to fathom. Ah well, there's no time to anyway. Her shift starts in 15 mins...

"WAIT 15 MINUTES?!"
Y/n gets ready as quick as she can and rushes out of her apartment. As she sprints down the stairs she gives Nacha a quick wave before safely landing in her office chair... just in time to catch the first doppelgänger of the day.

Great, it's Gloria with a little worm poking out the side of her face. Y/n can't help but ask about it, she needs a good laugh after all the overthinking she's been doing.

"The worm ? His name is Walter," it replies calmly.

Y/n chuckles. How cute ! She can't help but smile at the monster's charming excuse. It's definitely the most creative one she's heard in her time as the doorman! As tempted as she is to let it in, she did exactly what her job requires of her to do.

As the D.D.D leaves, she checks the list. It's the longest it's been all week.

"This going to be one long shift," she says under her breath with a tired sigh.

As day turns to night, y/n's eyes feel heavier and heavier. It feels like her bed is calling her name at this point. As she finishes her last bit of admin for the day, she ends up dosing off with her head laying slightly tilted on her arm. Through her haze she hears a soft voice coming from the window.

"Uhm, hello. Ms doorman ? Or doorwoman, I guess. Are you awake ?"

Sounds like Francis, but y/n already saw his boring face earlier today, and he definitely wouldn't have woken her up so gently. Oh yeah, and he also knows her name. They're neighbors after all.

Y/n raises her head tiredly, looking up to a startled-looking "Francis."

"Please don't call the D.D.D, I'm not here to scare or convince you to let me in," he says with wide, scared eyes. Hazel, scared eyes.

"I'm here to say thank you, Ms doorwoman."

Y/n gets a warm feeling in her stomach. Half-asleep, she replies: "You can call me y/n."

When she was able to fully grasp that this is the same doppelgänger from yesterday, she sits up straight and looks at him with a serious expression. Even though she's strangely glad to see him again.

"I would say it's a pleasure, but I'm not sure what your real intentions are. I'm sure you understand we humans haven't had the best experience with your kind," she replies trying to hide her excitement.

"Oh, yes I know. I understand your hesitation, but uhm, if it means anything, uhm..."

Y/n can tell he's nervous. She's not sure about what, but she feels bad for coming off on him so strongly.

"Hey, I get what you're trying to say," she replies with a soft smile. "Just promise me you won't be causing any trouble, you don't seem like the type to."

Y/n is confused at her own words, how could she trust a stranger? Let alone a doppelgänger...

"Oh, thank you... y/n. You're really kind," he says looking down. "I'll leave you to it though, you seem tired."

"Oh, yeah... I should probably head to bed," y/n says with a little laugh. "I didn't quite catch your name, it's not Francis is it?"

He chuckles with his head tilt down, clearly unsure of what to say.

"I'll call you Fran. Not very creative, I know, but It'll do the trick, no?"

He looks up with a sparkle in his eyes: "I like that. See you around, y/n."

As Fran leaves, y/n is left even more confused than before her shift. See you around ? Is he planning on coming back ? What type of name is Fran ? She doesn't bother to overthink it any longer, she's too tired to anyway. At least she knows she'll be able to get some sleep tonight...