Alone with you

Y/n is feeling hopeful today. She has time to get her morning coffee, grab the daily newspaper, and make it to the office with 10 minutes to spare!

That's just enough time for her to wake up properly and her mind to wonder at the same time. Of course Fran is the first thought that pops up in her mind. She just can't wait to see his beautiful eyes and his soft, warm smile. To hear his sweet voice and delicate voice. To feel the warmth of his presence, even though they're kept apart by the security window. Despite it being there for y/n's safety, she feels as if it's burdening her more than anything. She wishes she could open the door for Fran, but she simply can't take the risk herself. If she were caught she'd not only lose her job, but lose her freedom. The D.D.D has no mercy on rebellious doormen, yet no one knows what really happens to them. Y/n has only heard rumors... rumors that she tries to keep out of her thoughts.

If only something would happen by chance, something that couldn't be blamed on her. There's nothing more she wants than to be close to him...

Suddenly y/n's wishful thinking is interrupted by a soft knock at the main entrance door.

"That's strange," she thinks for a brief moment. The building only opens at 7am, and the residents know they're not supposed to knock. It's a new rule the D.D.D implemented, since people have tried to convince doormen to open up earlier than they're supposed to. Patience is a virtue, which no one has anymore, it seems.

As she glances at the door, she's met with a familiar, cheerful face.

"Fran?"

Y/n can't hide her excitement and slightly jumps up and down, waving at him enthusiastically. Fran giggles at her and waves back, looking at her as lovingly as he always does. He quickly pulls a paper out of his pocket and lifts it up to show her, sliding it underneath the door.

Y/n looks at him with a confused look.

"Is that for me?"

He nods with a wide smile and waves at her once again.

"Bye my love," he mouths as he walks away.

She smiles at him as he leaves, and quickly rushes to the door after she saw him walk off. The curiosity is killing her!

As she opens the roughly folded paper, she's met with what appears to be a poem. She had no idea he could write!

The poem reads:

In shadows deep, where dreams entwine,
I found her grace, a love divine.
A doorwoman fair, with eyes that gleam,
In her presence, love's sweet dream.

Her freckles dance, like stars at night,
Each one a story, a guiding light.
Her nose, so cute like a budding rose,
In crimson hues, my heart it knows.

With every glance, my soul takes flight,
In her warmth, all feels so right.
The colour red is our favourite hue,
And in passion's fire, our love rings true.

Tonight we meet, beneath the moon's soft glow,
In whispered words, our love will flow.
With every beat, my heart's refrain,
In my mind, forever she'll remain.

See you tonight, my darling.

Love
Fran

Y/n feels the warmth in her stomach push up to her face. Not only because of his gentle words, but because poetry is a hidden passion of hers. She's always been used to being the writer, not the muse. Seeing the beauty in others always came easy, but many ignored the beauty within her. The way he makes her feel is slightly overwhelming, but in the best way possible. She could definitely get used to this.

As y/n's shift goes by, she grows more and more impatient. She wishes she could just skip to the good part of her day. The best part, actually.

Finally, Mr Ciprianni arrives and she checks him in, which marks the end of her shift!

Minutes feel like hours until Fran finally walks up to the security window.

"Hey beautiful," he says with a wide grin, clearly waiting for y/n to say something about the note he left.

"Hey there, Mr poet. I missed you a lot today," she says with an excited smile.

"I missed you too, Miss doorwoman. Did you, uhm, like the poem?"

"It's beautiful, Fran. Your writing is very mature, yet so gentle and sweet. Just like you," y/n says with a shy smile, looking down at the note on her desk. She could tell he's nervous to hear her thoughts on it, although there's no need for him to be.

"You really mean that, y/n?"

"Of course, my love. You made me feel really special, you know. I've never felt like that before," she says making eye contact with him. Fran's cheeks turn bright red as they lock eyes.

"You are special, y/n. There's no one out there quite like you," he says with a serious, yet soft look on his face.

"And so are you, my Fran."

They look at each other, their eyes glittering under the dim light in the corridor. As the tension builds up between them, Fran rests his head against the glass and y/n follows, not breaking their loving gaze.

"I love you, y/n."

"And I love you, Fran."

The two of them sit like this until it's time for Fran to leave. Although there were no words spoken, y/n felt them grow closer in that moment. She wishes they could sit like this all night, but time stop for no one. Soon it was nearly time for Fran to leave.

"It hurts to see you go. More than ever before," she says with an aching heart.

"I know, my love. It hurt me more than anything. It won't be like this forever, I promise."

"How do you know that, Fran? Why can't we be together now? You aren't a danger to me, I know you aren't, I-"

"I know you're confused, y/n. I wish I could answer all your questions, but it's too dangerous right now. You'll get hurt if I do... I can't let that happen. Just trust me, my love."

"What are you protecting me from? I need to know Fran-"

As soon as y/n tried to continue, he interrupts her.

"I have to go now, beautiful. I'm sorry that I have to leave you like this, I really am."

"I know, but I'll only let you go if you make one more promise," she says with a slight smile. Fran breaks his sad expression with and smirks back at her.

"And what might that be, Miss doorwoman?"

"Promise that you'll never give up on me and that you'll take good care of yourself out there," y/n says in a serious tone.

"Hey, that's two promises!"

"I'm serious, Fran..." she says trying to maintain her tone, "although you're not wrong."

"I promise, my dearest y/n. Anything for my favourite girl, I mean doorwoman," he says with a giggle. Soon y/n contracts his laughter.

"I'm going to miss you, kind sir."

"And I'll miss you, my dear. I love you."

"I love you too, sweetheart."

Fran leaves without saying anything further and y/n walks up to her apartment. For the first time in years she feels content. Although Fran is not with her, he's in her heart, and she is in his. That's enough for her to keep on going.