Who are you?

It's 3am and y/n has been tossing and turning all night. The D.D.D is circling around the building constantly, the sound of walkie-talkies faintly creeping into the windows of her apartment. Her mind is racing; what if they find Fran ? He promised to stay away, but what if they find him elsewhere ? Her stomach twists by the thought of it. She can't lose him now, he's the light in the darkness she has found herself in.

Y/n doesn't have many friends, not after she became the doorwoman. The only chance she gets to talk to anyone is during her shift, and it's safe to say that many of the residents don't like her as much as they used to. They loath having to answer her many questions and get extremely annoyed by her skeptic attitude when they show up unexpectedly. That's why she appreciates the kindness the minority of them show towards her. Thats why she appreciates Fran. He might be a doppelgängers to the D.D.D, but to her he's so much more than that. He's the kindest person she has ever met, even kinder than the humans she knows. She just wishes things weren't as complex as they are right now...

After a long night of overthinking and anxiety, y/n is back in her chair behind the security window. The list is filled with familiar faces, right to the bottom of the page.

"Just my luck," y/n says with a tired sigh. There's no way she'll make it through her shift without 4 cups of coffee at least.

People start pilling into the building and everything seems normal. She remembers every resident by their own iconic qualities: Margarette with her big smile, Selenne with her designer earrings, Lois with her stylish hat, Francis covered in blood...

Wait, Francis covered in blood?!

Y/n is completely taken a back from what she's seeing, not just because he's practically soaked in red, but because it's the only thing that is off about his appearance. It couldn't really be him, right?

"What's up with the blood, Francis?"

"Blood ? No, it's not blood. It's scarlet milk," he say with an eerie smirk.

Y/n's face hardens. She's not about to let him insult her intelligence, tired or not. Before she could say a word, he continues.

"Unless you're more careful, it might end up being your "Fran's" blood I'm covered in," he says smiling with razor sharp teeth.

Y/n's heart sinks. How does he know ? Before she could think any further he starts banging against the security window. She slams the security alarm and immediately calls the D.D.D.

"Go ahead, call your D.D.D friends. They won't be able to save you in the end," the monster exclaims followed with manic laughter.

After the clean up process is finished, the building is closed off for the day due to the severity of the attack. Y/n falls into her seat, completely overwhelmed by what she has witnessed. The D.D.D's man-hunt was enough to have her mind spinning, now she has to worry about an insane doppelgänger too? It all seems so unfair to her, she can't help but break down. Tears start to stream down her face as she lays her head on her arms.

Fran walks up to her, his usual smile quickly disappearing when he noticed the crack in the security window. As he looks down at y/n, his glittering eyes turn dull and gloomy. He bends down, resting his arms on the small, table-like surface in front of the window.

"Hey beautiful, what's the matter?"

Y/n suddenly lifts her head with a startled expression.

"Hey, it's just me y/n. Don't be scared."

A feeling of shame and embarrassment covers her. No one has seen her cry before, she's never liked being vulnerable in front of others. Yet she can't control the tears raining from her eyes.

"Talk to me y/n. I know something happend," she hears Fran say as she looks up at him. The crack gives it away, it's impossible for her to make an excuse.

"A doppelgänger tried to attack me, Fran! He jumped up against the window and nearly broke in. I've never seen anything like it. He said he's coming for you. I can't let that happen Fran! I need you," she says frantically. It felt as if her shamefulness was over thrown by her distress.

Fran's face grows concerned as he lays his head the same way as y/n's.

"My love, you don't need to worry about me. I can protect myself, I promise."

Y/n feels puzzled by his response. He didn't ask anything about the doppelgänger... is he hiding something ?

"Hey, look at me," Fran says to her noticing her confused expression. She looks up at him, this time with a concerned look on her face.

"You don't need to worry, y/n. Please, just trust me."

Both of their faces are nearly touching the glass. Something in y/n wishes the glass would shatter, just so that they'd have an excuse to truly be together. There's nothing more that she wants than to be with Fran, without any danger or border keeping them apart.

"I trust you, Fran. I just wish things didn't have to be this way," she says while resting her head against the window.

"I know, beautiful. Everything will be okay, I promise. We'll get through it together," he says while resting his head on the same place as her's. She smiles - something about his words make her feel safe.

"You have a strange way of making things seem so hopefully. Even when I saw my life flashing before my eyes just moments ago," she says grinning.

"Do I? Well, if I made you feel better my work here is done, Miss Doorwoman," he says teasingly.

"No, your work is not done! Stay for a bit, Fran. I missed you."

"Hm, okay pretty girl. Maybe I'll stay for a bit, but you'll have to promise me something in return," he says looking at her lovingly.

"I went through a lot today, I think I deserve a little leniency!"

"Hey, it's only fair, my love. Don't you remember the agreement you made with me yesterday, about our little secret?"

"Hm, okay you have a point. What's the promise, babe?"

"You need to promise me you won't let those doppels get you down... and also that you'll call me that more often," Fran says as his face turns bright red.

"Hm, that's going to be hard, but you're worth it... babe," y/n replied teasingly.

Another night of senseless laughter and chatting goes by and y/n can feel her heart growing fonder of Fran by the minute. Although they're pretty much inseparable, she can't help but wonder if that monster will make a return...