Have I Slipped Into A Coma Or Did You Just Give Me Oral?

Chapter title guesses here ------------------------>

Sterling

"Get up," I instruct as I burst into my shared bedroom with Jackson.

He glances up from the sheet music he is studying, and I toss a package of fireworks at his chest. "What's this?" He inquires, inspecting the vibrantly colored packaging with furrowed brows.

I roll my eyes. "God, you really are sheltered."

Plopping down onto my bed, I pull on my boots and begin tying my laces. "They're firecrackers," I explain before nodding at the papers in his grasp. "And that's no way to spend the Fourth of July, so come with me."

I smile at him mischievously and wiggle my brows. "We're going down to the dock and lighting them off."

He frowns as he turns the box over in his palms, scanning the writing printed on the cardboard. "Are they legal?"

"Nope," I reply with a smirk. "I just got back from a quick trip smuggling them across the border. It was touch and go for a minute there, but the patrol got distracted by a cute golden retriever, so I seized the opportunity and bolted."

Jackson's expression is one of sheer horror as he stares at me with his mouth agape. "Seriously?"

I erupt into a fit of giggles before nudging him in the ribs. "Not even a little bit. Some guy was selling them in a tent at the parking lot of the grocery store."

He tosses aside his sheet music, pulling himself up into a sitting position. "Okay," he readily agrees. "Sounds like a good time."

He follows me down to the shore as the sun sinks into the horizon, casting the long shadows of the pines across the sand. Instantly, he crouches down and holds up a large cardboard canister from the box. "What does this one do?"

I grin wickedly, lighting the wick that stems from it. "Let's find out."

With caution, he sets the explosive down onto the sand and almost immediately, sparks of red, white, and blue shoot out in a hissing waterfall of tiny orbs.

We both cock our heads to the side, studying the somewhat sad display. "Well, this is..."

"Lame," Jackson finishes. We both laugh.

I shrug my shoulders. "Sorry. I thought it would be way cooler than that."

"That's-" His words are abruptly cut off by the loud boom of a firework, sparkling in the now navy sky.

"Now that's an impressive display," I remark as another one crackles and shimmers. I glance around me, my eyes falling upon a rusty cornflower blue canoe wedged into the sand.

I point at it and shift my sights onto Jackson. "Do you want to get a closer look?" I ask.

He bites his lip, hesitating. "I don't know, Sterling. That canoe isn't our property. We better stay here. The view of the fireworks is just fine from the shore."

"Come on," I plead, tugging on his fingers and pouting my lips. "What's the worst that can happen?"

He fights the urge to smile as he shakes his head. "You're paying my bail if we get arrested for theft."

"Yay!" I cheer, clapping my hands with glee. I jog over to the canoe and with a hearty shove, I push the end into the water while Jackson hops in and picks up one of the oars.

I giggle with delight as he playfully smacks my ass with the paddle. "Get in loser, we're going rowing," he teases, referencing a quote from my favorite movie.