Raw And Filthy Fucking

Sterling

I pop my head out of my bedroom and glance both ways to ensure the living room is empty before teetering out in a pair of five-inch heels.

Wobbling slightly, I clutch onto the back of the couch to steady myself. I catch my reflection in the mirror and scarcely recognize the girl staring back at me. She wears a yellow wrap dress, and her mousy brunette tresses fall past her shoulders. Bangs sweep across her eyelids which are stripped of all make-up.

The wig that sits atop my head is itchy and my feet already ache from being forced into an unnatural arch that rivals Barbie's, but this is all necessary.

If Jackson wants refined and lady-like, I think to myself, then I can morph into just that.

And then when I have him nicely wrapped around my finger, I'll break his heart just as he shattered mine into fragile little shards.

The chatter from Jackson's family interrupts my musings and is spirited as it drifts in through the open window, rising and falling with the bass of the music. My balance is temporarily thrown off at a knocking on the door and I cautiously waddle my way over to answer it.

"Sterling?" Kelsi greets, shock on her features as we come face to face. "Is that you?"

"Of course, it's me," I answer with agitation. "Do you think I have an evil twin?"

She shakes her head, gripping her potato salad and stepping into the entryway. "You changed the blonde?" She asks, disappointment in her tone.

"It's only temporary," I respond, ushering her and her dish of gloppy grossness towards the back door. "It's for a top-secret mission."

She whirls around, her eyes gleaming and she knocks into me, nearly sending me sprawling backwards onto the linoleum. "How exciting!" She squeals. "What scheme have you concocted now?"

I roll my eyes. "If I spill to you then it wouldn't be a secret."

"True," she replies with a smile on her nudely glossed lips. She is the picture of elegance today in a simple, forest green shirt and khaki shorts. She has her wild fiery locks straightened into a low ponytail and I am not surprised that she has gone through this effort on account of meeting Jackson's extended family for the first time.

I hang back and watch her gracefully drift from one relative to another as she introduces herself. She looks each and every person in the eye while clasping their hands. "So lovely to meet you," she declares warmly.

I can understand why she appeals to Jackson. She's exactly the demure type of woman that he boasted about being with. Another Katie.

I sigh at the memory of Jackson's ex from a time period that I had blocked from my brain. She was a leggy, raven-haired classmate of his that had gone on to study at Yale. She had glasses, high cheekbones, wore blazers and was every bit the sexy librarian.

She was perfect. So, why had they broken up?

I don't know the answer. Only that she has been replaced by someone equally as scholarly.

My eyes follow Kelsi and I spring into action, joining a plump woman with rosy cheeks who is chatting with Jackson and his mother. I straighten out my shoulders as I approach.

"How do you do, mademoiselle?" I chime in, giving a deep curtsy. As their gaze's land upon me, I bow my head in servitude. "I'm Sterling of the Holloways," I continue, my sights still lowered to the ground.

No one says a word and as I move to break my pose, the wig slips from my natural hair and onto the grass.

Jackson stifles a laugh while I scramble to pick the hairpiece up and place it back atop my head in a lopsided manner. His mother exchanges a confused glance with the lady she is speaking with, and my cheeks grow warm.