3

Natsuki Subaru gazed at the grandeur of the mansion's gate, admiring the expansive garden surrounding it. The mansion looked like something out of a fairy tale, with its enchanting appearance, adorned with the generosity of nature in the garden.

After killing Elsa, Subaru turned back to the fountain in the square. However, instead of Lia, a knight named Reinhard van Astrea appeared. Reinhard greeted Subaru kindly, informing him that Lia was safe and had returned home. He also added that Subaru was summoned to receive a reward. At that moment, Reinhard mentioned that he had arranged a carriage for Subaru. During the journey, Subaru drifted into thoughts.

Subaru knocked on the large gate and waited for it to open, scanning the surroundings carefully. However, there were no guards or attendants as he expected. This situation surprised him a bit. "Why are there no guards?" he pondered.

In such a large mansion, there should be at least a few guards patrolling, especially in a place so easily accessible from the outside. If he had a mission to kill the residents here, it wouldn't be difficult at all. However, silence prevailed behind the gate, with no sign of any security personnel.

"Perhaps the residents inside are very powerful," he muttered to himself. This thought seemed more logical. If the mansion's inhabitants were indeed powerful individuals, they might not need guards. However, there could still be crimes like theft, and even in that case, there should be at least a few security guards.

The gate remained closed, and there was no one around. Subaru's unease grew. What was happening inside the mansion, and why was it so quiet?

When the gate finally opened, a young girl in maid attire emerged from inside. She was quite beautiful; her shoulder-length blue hair and eyes matching the same color caught the attention. Her hair partially covered one of her eyes, adding a mysterious air to her. Her voice was cold as she asked, "Who are you?"

"I'm Natsuki Subaru," Subaru answered, his demeanor somewhat distant. "Miss Emilia must have mentioned my arrival."

"Emilia-sama did inform us," the girl replied. "Please come in," she said, inviting Subaru inside, but still keeping some distance. As they entered, she added, "Everyone is asleep. Rem has prepared a room for you," her voice still cold. They walked for a while and finally reached a large room.

"If you need anything, just let Rem know," the girl added, leaving Subaru in the room. Subaru glanced around the room and thanked her briefly. His cold demeanor still persisted.

Subaru asked with curiosity, "By the way, who is Rem?"

The girl paused for a moment, looked at Subaru with thoughtful eyes, then gently pointed to herself, saying, "Me."

"Ah, I see," Subaru said, slightly surprised, but with a hint of a smile. Rem's response had surprised him, but it also evoked some sympathy. "You refer to yourself in the third person, just like Naito."

This time Rem replied gently, "Yes, you could say that. But please, just call me Rem."

Subaru took a step towards Rem and asked with curiosity, "So, Rem, who is the owner of this mansion? Are you living alone in such a large place?"

Rem, in a flat tone, replied, "The owner of the mansion is Lord Roswaal L. Mathers." There was a judgmental look in her eyes. "You can ask your questions tomorrow; for now, good evening."

Subaru listened carefully to Rem's response but still had some doubts. "Is Lord Roswaal living here?" he asked.

Rem replied with respectful demeanor, "Yes, Lord Roswaal does live here. However, he often travels due to his business."