4

When Roswaal, with his hands clasped on the table, began to discuss Rem's punishment, Subaru entered the room and interrupted him. "Not so fast," he said, with a determined expression. "Don't I have the right to decide her punishment? After all, she tried to take my life, even if she's your servant."

Roswaal listened carefully to Subaru's statement and pondered for a moment. "Hmm, makes sense," he finally said. He allowed Subaru to continue on this matter, knowing that he could have influence in the decision-making process.

Rem looked at Subaru standing before her. His cold eyes unsettled her and heightened her inner turmoil. Subaru's expression was complex; there was coldness, indifference, relaxation... But one thing was noticeable: there was no anger. This unsettled Rem because she couldn't predict what Subaru would do. Avoiding eye contact, she continued to wrestle with her anxious thoughts.

"Rem," Subaru murmured, as if talking to himself. "They said you're an excellent maid. Cooking, cleaning, gardening... They all say you're skilled at them. You won't object to the punishment I'll give you, right?" he said, with determination.

Rem had accepted her fate by now and believed Subaru would definitely do something terrible to her. However, she nodded, accepting this truth.

Subaru continued with a straight face: "Be my wife."

"What?" Everyone in the room reacted with surprise to this unexpected proposal.

Subaru persisted with the same seriousness. "You cook, clean, and you're beautiful," he said, as if implying that the odd one out in the room was everyone else. "I've been looking for a wife, and you possess all the qualities."

After hearing enough, Ram exploded: "I DO NOT APPROVE OF THIS!" She walked towards Subaru, her eyes filled with anger. "I'll kill the pig who dares to eye my sister!" she growled, her fur standing on end.

Roswaal reached out and restrained Ram with his arm. "Hold on a minute, Ram. I want to ask him something first," he said, with a serious tone. Turning to Subaru, he continued, "Why do you want to take dear Rem as your wife?"

Subaru didn't need to lie; he had already expressed what he would say later in the most honest way possible.

"I'm still new to these lands, and I need to learn how the government and economy work to rise in society," he explained, with sincerity in his voice. "And for that, I need someone to teach me. Someone as educated and intelligent as you, and..." he paused for a moment, his eyes shifting to Rem. "It's also time for me to start a family according to my traditions."

After listening to Subaru's words, Ram burst out even more angrily. "This is unacceptable!" she shouted, her eyes blazing with fire. "Do you want to give my sister to some random vagabond? There are better ways to find her a suitable husband!"

Roswaal listened carefully to Ram's reaction and nodded slightly. "Ram, I understand your feelings, but we need to hear Subaru's explanations before making judgments," he said in a calm tone.

Ram stood firm and looked protectively at her sister, insisting, "I cannot accept this. Rem should be the last person to be given to a vagabond. She deserves better."

Subaru, understanding Ram's emotional reaction, responded with determination. "Ram, don't worry. I'll take good care of Rem and do my best for her happiness," he said.

"Who are you to say that?" Ram asked angrily, pointing her finger at Subaru. "You may have been hired as Emilia-sama's guard, but what do we know about you?"

Subaru calmly responded, putting his hands in his pockets: "If that's the only problem, I can explain," he said. "My name is Subaru, my last name is Natsuki, my profession is a Shinobi, and I'm 17 years old."

Ram furrowed her brows in skepticism at this response. "Shinobi?" she repeated. "So you're just a trained dog who kills people for money." Her tone was still accusatory, and there was deep suspicion in her eyes as well.

Looking into Ram's eyes, Subaru responded with determination, "Perhaps I used to be, but not anymore. I'm here now as Emilia-sama's guard, working to ensure her safety."

Roswaal, with the same expression on his face, commented as he extended, "A Shinobi, you say." Still speaking in a thoughtful manner, he continued, "Nevertheless, is it necessary for you to obtain permission from your father before getting married?"

Subaru quietly replied, "My father is dead."

"Then summon your mother," Roswaal continued.

"She's also dead," Subaru answered, with a slightly sad tone.

"Grandfather or uncle, perhaps?" Roswaal inquired, searching for a way out.

"They're also," Subaru replied, his voice devoid of emotion.

"Anyone with whom you have a blood relation?" Roswaal asked, with a last shred of hope.

"I have no living relatives," Subaru answered coldly.

With a sigh, Roswaal looked into the distance for a moment. Then, in a calm tone, he said, "In that case, there's no problem with Subaru-kun and Rem's marriage," he added, this time with a clearer tone.

Ram still objected, looking at her sister with concern. Rem's happiness was her top priority, and this sudden decision bothered her. Emilia, on the other hand, looked as if she didn't understand what was happening, trying to grasp the situation. This unexpected development had shaken her balance too. Beatrice and Puck seemed indifferent to the event, busy with their own worlds and concerns.

Rem, with a flushed face, waited anxiously. She had never thought about marriage, especially with a stranger. However, with Roswaal's decision, she now had to face a new reality. The silence around her only heightened her inner turmoil.

Subaru looked at Rem with a cold expression. "I hope it will be a happy marriage for both of us," he said. "I'll do everything a husband should do, and I expect the same commitment from you," he added. But he was unaware of the conflicting emotions within Rem.

Rem, struggling to understand Subaru's feelings, found it difficult to gauge what he meant by his words. There was no love in his eyes, just coldness. This marriage brought many unknowns for her, and the thought made her anxious.

Still, she couldn't refuse this proposal. If she did, Subaru could leave her punishment to Roswaal, which meant imprisonment or exile. She sighed deeply and thought to herself, "My life has taken a completely different path now." With this decision, both her and Subaru's lives were now filled with uncertainty.