Understand You Like You Understand Me - Chanmin

duo- Chanmin
trope- friends to lovers
word count- 1661
contains- two autistic main characters, main character with ADHD, fluff, somewhat angst, they're kpop idols in this story too
tw: meltdowns, brief mention of harmful stims
----------------------------------------

Seungmin's autism was something all the members where completely aware of, from the day Seungmin got diagnosed in 2019. Especially Chan, who supports Seungmin in meltdowns and general life as it can be tough for him. Chan always got Seungmin, most of the time at least. They clashed, of course they did, they spent a lot of time together and like all the members, didn't always get along. That didn't take away how close they were, behind the scenes they were the closest members in the group. Seungmin found his job so incredibly difficult but loved it all the same, especially with Chan by his side. Chan never understood why, or even how he connected with the younger so well. Better than anyone else ever had before.

That was until a day where Chan refused to leave the studio for the entire day. Not even working, it was his day off. Just staring defeatedly at a piece of paper that told him something he never expected to be told about himself. After a meeting with the 'company therapist'. It never was the 'company therapist'. It was someone different, someone he had been referred to speak to by Lucy. Lucy was the sweetest staff member in Div1 if Chan said so himself. Just like Seungmin, she had autism alongside her ADHD and she worked very well and closely with the members. Particularly Seungmin and if Seungmin was there, Chan probably was too. She just figured it'd be better safe than sorry to have Chan go for a few meetings with some people. Not that he expected anything from it.

After spending about 20 more minutes at around 11 o'clock at night, doing the same thing, he jumped out of his seat quite suddenly at the unexpected sound of a knock at the door. Chan hated the sound of door knocks, the sudden noise that you can never estimate the volume or intensity of, it just always scared him and left him shaking a little. Every single time. Luckily (at least in most cases he'd consider himself lucky, not this time though), it was just Seungmin he saw when lifting his head and recollecting himself again.

Seungmin slowly peered through the door, almost hesitating to approach the man who hadn't been seen all day. "Hey." He smiled, a smile that always made Chan's day. Why wasn't it working then though? Oh yeah, he felt like a bad leader.

"Hi." Chan replied, dryly as his eyes remained glued to the papers beside him. He swiveled side to side on his chair, like he had been doing all day, using his foot to help him.

"Are you okay?"

Chan wanted to be honest with the younger, he wanted to be honest and say: 'No, no I'm not. Not at all.' But he just couldn't bring himself to do it. He continued to swing side to side repeatedly, not yet making eye contact with the younger who didn't like the sensation most of the time anyway. He hated lying to Seungmin but he was lying to himself too, he was angry at himself. He felt an overwhelm of emotions inside, so much that he looked almost lost to anyone else. Seungmin knew it far too well though, he saw right through Chan like he was glass.

"Yes, I'm fine Seung. It's late, you should head back to the dorms." Chan spoke, trying to get himself the space he misled himself to believe he needed. He couldn't be left alone though, it was far too dangerous for Chan that night. So as pissed he seemed, he secretly thanked the gods for Seungmin's ability to read Chan like an open book. He couldn't connect with any of the other members that way except Chan.

"No, you aren't." Seungmin said, speaking truth. "You never stay in the studio all day. Changbin-hyung also says you haven't been on your laptop all day. He checked your screen time."

"Just go home, Seungmin." Chan voiced, exhaustion rich in his words. He never lifted his eyes from the paper, he just couldn't.

"No, I came here from the dorms to check on you. I got worried." Seungmin explained, the firm but concerned look on his face that was there from the start wouldn't leave. Nor would he uncross his folded arms. "What's going on?"