Chapter Eight: Alternate Universe TV (And a Birthday Flashback)

Hezekiah's POV

FLASHBACK (Hezekiah's Seventeenth Birthday)...

"Man, your family doesn't know how good they got it when it comes down to you," Ty'Reek said as he and Kim joined me and Mrs. Simmons for a small and quiet birthday dinner, the head maid helping the cook with making roast chicken with vegetables, rice, and collard greens as my parents and siblings were getting ready for yet another summer-long vacation (a staycation in Rome) while I was being shipped off to another summer-long stay at a boarding school in Germany. "Only Cameron can be the one to keep it real with you and us hired help while your family treats us like slaves."

"It's how their 'Diamond Standards' work, Ty'Reek," Kim said in her faint Korean accent as Minnie Jean came out with plates of food for everyone. "Cameron is the only family member to see Hezekiah as a true member of the family while everyone else sees him as the child of a rapist."

I nodded. "Mom always said that if it wasn't for her father- my grandpa- telling her to keep me, she and Dad would've gladly had me aborted a long time ago," I commented, taking a small sip of iced tea. "She and Dad always said that to try and get me to end my life, somethign that I don't dare get involved with since my Catholic upbringing won't allow it. That, and I guess it would also go against their standards. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if-"

"Don't let that mind try to bring you down, child," Minnie Jean cut me off with a look of warning as she loomed over me at the table. "Your mama and her brood always hated you for no reason even when you do everything right and obeyed your parents. Sure, Cameron's living it up with them but he still loves you for being you and shares that brotherly bond that not even that evil twin named Alex can imagine to have. You and Cameron can bet that this family is heading down the road to hell in a picnic basket with how they raise you to stay out of sight. They can dance through life all they want to, but pride always go down before a fall. And the bigger the pride, the harder they fall and the lethal the blow. The Lord works in mysterious ways, Hezekiah. You'll see. Just keep your bond with Cameron and strengthen it as you both promised me, and all will be made well in the end."

"I will," I promised the older woman as everyone sat down to dinner. From the first bite of chicken to me blowing the candles out on the chocolate cake that Ty'Reek's mother sent over while the servants sung "Happy Birthday;" I knew that my birthdays before being shipped off to Europe for lonely summers were worth it with people who care for me. I only wished that my REAL family felt the the same...

*******************

Meanwhile, back in the Nexus...

Alternate Universe Television.

The heaven-sent streaming service that offers residents of the Nexus a chance to see what life would be like if one wasn't born in the universe in general. And after two days of being settled into my new home in the afterlife, it was time for me to take a look into the life where I never existed. Despite my anxiety that was rising in my mind and a tide of goosebumps that raced up and down my skin, I knew that I owed myself to watch this timeline. Last night's party where Chance's circle of friends told me their stories of how they ended up here was evidence enough to rip off the band-aid.

And at the moment, I was sitting in the living room with a small cheese board and some juice while deciding what date to view. My seventeenth birthday, I thought as I input the date. After a few moments, the screen went dark briefly before it showed my family all smiles and dressed in their version of casual clothes (designer labels and custom made) as it looked like they were sitting down to dinner.

"Just think that in two weeks' time, we're going to be enjoying yet another summer vacation in Europe," Dad said happily as the maids and butlers set out the food (a typical lobster dinner). "And with the firm raking in more money with new clients, we're going to be making sure that the family legacy is fulfilled."

"I'm excited for our daughters," Mom replied, grinning at both Leigh-Anne and Mariah as the girls were sipping on their glasses of lemon water. "Didn't either of you mention a new fashion show coming up?"

Mariah nodded eagerly. "I'll be modeling one or two of the gowns for both Ferragamo and Gucci in Florence," she remarked. "Leigh-Anne's modeling for Dior and Yves St. Laurent the day after that."

"Our agents knew of our family time in Europe and had insisted that we invite you guys to join us," her twin sister noted. "But we told him that Alex and Cameron are going to be in London for the Youth Olympic Games and that we couldn't stay too long for the after-parties and all."

"Good to know," Dad hummed before turning to the boys. "Speaking of which, I hope you two are staying in perfect shape for your sports. We're counting on you to make sure that the USA brings home the gold."

"We intend to," Alex replied confidently, pausing to bite into his lobster roll and eating it. He swallowed it down before he continued with, "Coach Greene allowed me to have a cheat day for today before I have to train for the swim team."

"And I have to make sure that my aim is perfect for the archery," Cameron piped up, looking up from his plate. "My sport is coming up before the opening ceremonies."

"And we don't intend to miss any moment, boys," Mariah vowed. "The sooner you two bring home the gold, the sooner we can continue to bring in the excellence for our family and maintain the Chamblee Diamond Standard."

"Hear, hear," Mom said, raising her champagne glass as her husband did the same before their kids followed with their nonalcoholic beverages. "To the Chamblee Diamond Standard. May it never lose its glow and may our legacy shine like none other."

"Cheers," everyone said as they clinked glasses before small talk was made with plans for sightseeing and random plans were being arranged.

I couldn't watch anymore as tears fell from my eyes just as Gabriel and Michael emerged from their bright lights. "Finally decided to watch AUTV for the first time, huh?" the former asked gently.

"Everyone looks so happy and at ease," I said, a sob leaving my throat. "That never happened around me when I was on Earth. All they talked about was me being 'a bad-luck penny in their pristine life savings' or how they wished that Mom had me aborted anyway. Even Cameron's better off me in the alternate timeline."

"It's not easy watching the timeline without you in it, Hezekiah," Michael intoned, he and his brother coming to my chair and standing in front of me. "But it's necessary to see how things might have been since you were not meant for that world."

"What do you mean?" I wanted to know.

"We can't tell you ourselves since both God and Lucifer will be the ones who have the answer," Gabriel replied gently. "But know that they've been wanting to meet with you and it's likely that it'll happen soon. Only they have the answers that you need to know about why you've been sent here. But for now, make the most of your new life in the Nexus. You have the opportunity to live as you please while finding a new center for yourself."

"It won't be easy, but you won't be alone," Michael promised. "And trust me, Chance is going to be a closer ally to you than you could imagine."

I nodded, letting the tears from my eyes flow freely as both archangels wrapped me in a strong & loving embrace. I knew that I'd have to watch more events from AUTV and be used to seeing everyone happy without me. But I also knew that the archangels were right. I had to start living my own life and get used to this new normal.

But the main question still lingered in my mind: Where do I even begin?

Good question, Hezekiah. But don't worry. All will be made clear as this storyline goes on.

Coming up next, we'll see our new resident have a run-in with the eclectic and sensual Catalina Slade as he makes plans to have a tour of Axis, the capital of the Nexus. And boy, Miss Slade is going to be ready to cause a lot of drama for our boy!

Vote.
Comment.
Share.
Follow.
Add.
FAN!