Chapter Eleven: Summertime Sadness

After spending the good part of the afternoon with Catia upgrading my wardrobe (which was mediocre at best), getting a new cellphone (apparently, Verizon is the primary choice here in the Nexus), and even stopping by at a fashion show (as requested by one of the many people who invited me on the spot); I was back at home enjoying a nice swim in the backyard in-ground pool. It had been quite a day with what was revealed- Catalina's spontaneous visit and her warning me to stay away from Chance alongside meeting both God and Lucifer face to face and knowing that they're my dads. Not only that, I was suddenly the talk of the Nexus as people wanted to know me more.

Coming up for air, I slicked back my cropped brown hair and exited the pool before grabbing a towel and wrapping it around my waist. I took a glimpse of the early-evening skies with the sun getting ready to take its repose. I inhaled the summer-like air, wishing that I had the chance to do the same back on Earth while my family was out enjoying cruises to the Caribbean or a summer in Australia while I was holed up in some form of boarding school in Europe without any contact from the outside world. I could still remember the first time that I was shipped away...

FLASHBACK (After Hezekiah finished seventh grade)...

"I'm home," I said, surprised to see the maids and servants rushing around and packing everything away. "What's going on here?"

I saw Minnie Jean and a tall blonde woman dressed in a charcoal pantsuit come to me, the latter smiling as if she was a cat that swallowed a flock of canaries while my main guardian looked frustrated. "Child, your momma is really asking for it this time," Minnie Jean spat lowly. "This woman right here is her personal assistant Miss Drummond. She's been waiting for you to come from school."

The woman in question  turned to me, her eyes as lifeless as Mom's would be when I faced her. "Mr. Chamblee," she greeted me, shaking my hand. "Your parents have decided that you're going to need to keep a strong focus on your schoolwork. Now that you've finished middle school and all, it's more imperative that you keep the Chamblee family name intact while enhancing your chances of a bright future. I know that you'll be turning 13 tomorrow and want to assert your independence, but your mother doesn't want to take any chances."

"What does that mean?" I asked, my voice laced with confusion.

"It means that starting this summer, you'll be spending your holiday vacations in boarding schools across Europe," Miss Drummond answered. "You'll be expected to keep your mind on your pending education and will have no privileges of any sort- meaning that there's no contact with the outside world, no trips out to town, no time for making friends. You have to make sure that you're to keep the family name clear from any scandal."

"Child," Minnie Jean scoffed, rolling her eyes. To Miss Drummond, "Ma'am, I can assure you that Hezekiah is a good egg and-"

"I know, ma'am, but Hezekiah's mother insisted that he stay out of everyone's way," Miss Drummond cut the older woman off. "This isn't for debate. A liasion is coming over to pick him up around five and I've instructed the younger maids to pack Hezekiah's clothes. The headmaster at St. Anslem's is expecting him in England this evening, so this means that you'll have to say your goodbyes now."

With that, the blonde woman sashayed out of the room as if she was crowned Miss USA.

**********************

"Mister Chamblee," the middle-aged man who introduced himself as Headmaster Rogan (a strict former military man back in the sixties), greeted me as I followed him down the austere halls of St. Anslem's School for Boys, an old-fashioned all-male boarding school located outside of London. "Your parents have instructed me and your teachers to ensure that your summers will be spent with strict education values and less time out and about with your classmates. You're to have a separate class schedule from the others and you're to have a strict curfew. You're to have no phone calls, no letters, no emails, or participation in the scheduled Visitation Day. Not only that, you're to remain on campus at all times with no time to make visits to London, Cambridge, or any of the surrounding towns."

I inhaled sharply, keeping my composure yet wanting to cry. "I understand, sir," I replied, keeping my voice even.

"At St. Anslem, we value in making sure that the brightest of minds have the best chances of success," the headmaster noted as we arrived at one of the dormitory halls. "I know that you're eager to have some fun in life, but your parents insisted on keeping you on a tight leash and under lockdown. I understand, son. But this is for the greater good of your future. When you're older and a successful member of high society, you'll thank your family for keeping you away from any distractions."

I soon arrived in my dorm room, which was as military-themed and straitlaced as everything else was, and stepped inside. "Thank you, sir," I said as one of the older boys arrived to help me unpack and settle in.

Headmaster Rogan smiled thinly. "You may think that we're robbing you of life, my boy, but you'll see that this is meant to help you," he said formally. "You may take this weekend to rest and prepare yourself for the summer of academics, son. Your meals will be eaten in your room away from all the other boys. After you unpack, it'll be time for bed." He took his leave as the older boys continued to help me unpack before I showered and got ready for bed.

That would be the start of several summers and various holidays (Thanksgiving week and the Christmas holidays included) with me away from my ragtag group of Minnie Jean and the other servants as I faced many days spent under the watchful eyes of tutors and teachers keeping me away from the outside world. And though I wanted to fight my parents and spite them for robbing me of having fun like any other teen would, I wanted to make them proud of me despite me being the son of my mother's rapist. So I kept my feelings to myself and settled for a fate of being a bookworm. All to make sure that the Chamblee Diamond Standard would be kept pristine...

I shook out of my reverie, noticing that the sky was getting darker as the first of the stars came out to play. At least I would make sure to take advantage of my new life here in the Nexus. The day spent at the capital city was the start. The rest would soon fall into place.

Poor Hezekiah. His summers and holidays spent under academic lockdown were all a ploy set by his parents for him to keep out of their way. As I'm writing this chapter, I'm actually starting to wonder if they really hate him enough to just keep him in the background. We'll know for sure as this story goes on, folks.

But coming up next, we'll meet Andrew Coleman and how he felt about Hezekiah before he learns of the teen's death when his fiancee Mariah comes to pick him up from the airport. Stay tuned.

Song: "Cool Kids" by Echosmith. Dedication: JDCarvell.

Vote.
Comment.
Share.
Follow.
Add.
FAN!