Chapter Nine: Catalina's Morning Visit

Two  days in the Nexus, and I've manly spent it in Pleasantville when not at home getting familiar with everything. With my initial viewing of AUTV and how everyone seemed to be at ease without me in the alternative universe; I knew that I had to do something to begin assimilating into my new reality. So I was currently leaving my bedroom, freshly dressed in a form-fitting T-shirt and blue jeans with plans to visit Axis, the capital of the Nexus.

From what I've heard about the large city, it was known to be a place where modern New York and Los Angeles combined met Gotham City from the 1966 version of "Batman" in real life. "The moment I stepped inside downtown was when I fell in love," Eva had told me the previous day when she came over. "It made London look like a bad mural painting. If only I wasn't relegated to live in Pleasantville, I would've found a nice job as a shopgirl there. But Pleasantville has some charms as well. You should consider stepping out for a day and give some of the neighborhoods a visit, love. It'll change how you see Earth and the afterlife."

Hence me getting ready to step out for the day and heading to the kitchen for a quick breakfast of peanut butter and jelly on toast. Just as I was getting the ingredients needed, there was a knock at the door. "Come in," I hollered.

The sound of the front door opening and closing followed by clicking of heels on the marbled floor emanated through the halls before I was greeted by Catalina Slade, she dressed up as Britney Spears from her VMA Awards concert (sans the snake). "Ah, Hezekiah Chamblee," she purred, giving me air kisses as she approached me. "I was hoping to find you here."

"Hello to you too, Catalina," I replied, not sure where this was heading.

"Please, call me 'Catia' or 'Cat' since we're friends. I see that you're preparing some breakfast for the day yet you're dressed as if you're heading out."

I nodded. "I decided that it was time to get to know the other neighborhoods of the Nexus a little better, starting with the capital. Axis," I replied, grabbing some bread and placing it in the toaster. "Wanted to make a day-long adventure out of it and maybe even catch some sights and sounds there. Make a purchase or two, catch a movie, or even walk around."

"Really? I never thought of you as an adventurer," she hummed, helping herself to some bread before taking the peanut butter and strawberry preserves and spreading them on both slices. "You look like the type to stay in and view AUTV."

"I did that two days ago," I replied. "Got a little much, but it inspired me to start getting involved since I'm now a part of the Nexus."

"True," Catalina agreed as I made my sandwich before serving her and myself some orange juice. "So, what's your opinion about Chance?"

That caught me off-guard as I nearly choked on my sip of milk. "What do you mean?" I said, coughing a little.

"I mean, I heard that you two were friends back on Earth and were known to be close. What's up with that?"

"Well, we were close since we met in the ninth grade," I explained. "I was mainly the bookworm of the school while he was seen with the jocks and all. My parents never cared much for him, believing that he might distract me from my studies.   So they had us separated during our sophomore year and I had to remain a wallflower spending time with teachers and the headmistress while Chance was with his friends. He died before junior year began, but I wasn't allowed to attend his funeral."

"How sad," Catalina commented, pouting. "I bet you two were close while you were together."

"We were, but I never imagined a nerd like me becoming friends with him. Back at Allendale Christian Academy, cliques were pretty much mandatory and if you didn't fit in with either of them, you mainly had to hang out with the teachers. That was my fate for the most part as dictated by my parents."

The Brazilian beauty hummed, nodding her head. "Well, I'm glad that you're friends with him back in the land of the living," she said, "but now that you two are in the Nexus, I have a bit of problem with that. Which is why I have to ask you to stay away from Chance."

Cue the record scratch. "Wait, what?" I asked, eyes wide with disbelief as I set my sandwich to the side.

She gave me an apologetic grin, batting her eyelashes. "I don't mean it like that, but I don't like sharing what's mine," she replied. "I kind of had my eyes on Chance since he arrived and I've been hoping and praying that he remained available. I'm very possessive when it comes to going after what I want and I don't want to have any competition or rivalries. I know you see him as a friend and all, but I can't afford to take any risks. Hezekiah Chamblee, I want to see you as a friend and not my enemy. Let me work with you. All I ask is that you stay away from Chance."

If Catalina Slade didn't remind me of Adelle Chamblee before, she did now.

Before I could open my mouth, bright lights formed in the middle of the kitchen to form Louis and the archangels, all of them dressed in formal pastels and none of them being happy to see Catalina. "Uh, hi," I said uneasily.

"Hezekiah," Louis greeted me before sneering at Catalina. "Miss Slade, if you would be so kind to leave Hezekiah's house."

She batted her eyes, looking extremely coquettish. "But of course," she said in a snake-charmer purr as she stood up and finished her glass of milk before taking her sandwich remains. To me, "Please consider my words, Hezekiah. Let's not become enemies. Stay away from Chance and all will be well."

I watched her leave, the door shutting behind her with a resounding slam that made my heart nearly jump out of my chest. "Wow," I breathed. "That was unexpected."

"Well, she's been quite a problem for most of the male and female residents here in Pleasantville," Gabriel replied crisply, folding his arms. "Although we've not been able to prove it until now, we've been getting a lot of complaints about her when it came to her requests for them to stay away from Chance. And now that you're here, things might be a bit intense."

"Which is more the reason for this visit," Michael continued as he came to my side. "If you have more encounters with Catalina, please inform one of the cherubims and seraphims as soon as possible. Some of the archangels and arch-demons believe that she's not what she claims to be."

"Right," I said, feeling a bit uneasy yet willing myself to remain calm. "Before she came here, I was planning to make a trip to Axis and spend a day there. I've been a bit claustrophobic lately and Eva suggested that I spend time in the regions of the Nexus and get familiar with everything."

"There's an idea," Louis hummed. "You're starting to get more in tune with the Nexus. Remember that it's not easy to not being wanted in heaven or hell, let alone not being given a chance to start a new life on Earth. But in the Nexus, you can start living life in the way that you can again. Now, hurry along. The adventures in Axis awaits.

"And again, Hezekiah. If Catalina encounters you again or you feel like she's giving you any trouble, let one of the seraphims or cherubims here know as soon as possible," Michael reminded me as he, Gabriel, and Michael faded away. "We'll be watching you."

"Thanks," I said, waving goodbye as they soon disappeared. "Well, Hezekiah? It's time to make a day out of this visit to the Nexus. No need to waste it, so time to get going."

With that, I grabbed my house keys and wallet before locking up the house and setting my sights for the Pleasantville train station. Let the adventures begin!

Looks like Catalina has her own intentions for Chance Dalton and she wants NO ONE standing in her way, not even Hezekiah, who doesn't know that he and Chance are meant for more than just friends! The plot is thickening!

But coming up next, a visit to Axis leads to tea time with God and Lucifer as both of them make themselves known and explain why Hezekiah was sent to the Nexus in the first place. And what happens during the confession is going to blow you away! Get ready for the first of many surprises that will make you gag all over!

Dedication: Ava_night_Writer and ShadedSin. Song: "Trouble" by Taylor Swift.

Vote.
Comment.
Share.
Follow.
Add.
FAN!