CHAPTER THREE (3)

Map.

Chap

Chap.3

Taking a shower in the claw-foot bathtub set in the center of a room bigger than her and Ellie's felt fleshless, like the gilded italic gold shower head could only be used after a properly aged, bitter red wine that had sat in a barrel before her grandparents had even been born. And with a properly high threaded robe to put on at the end.

What irked Jane more was the specs of dust missed by their maid showed this bathroom was not in common use, if ever. Just a pearly display.

Doe stayed in long enough to be considered a plunge and to get the burnt espresso skin smell off her.

Her chest had survived James's crime. A couple of blood vessels burst over her collarbone. Like they would from a kiss from the sun.

Instead of wine and a peignoir, she dressed back into the stained clothes, putting James' shirt and her apron in a small shoot that, Doe hoped, was for laundry and not the bins.

Stepping out of the bathroom, she was quickly pushed back in by a now dressed James muttering in Spanish, telling her to take those off and running up a new flight of stairs.

He came back with a pile of clothes, pushed them towards her and closed the door. A small (for James) Junior High rugby shirt. That Jane figured couldn't fit over his shoulders and a pair of track pants tied at her hip with her hair tie that had left her now wet hair.

As much as she wanted to comment on the shirt being taken off in the middle of the store or closing it early, the speck of dust in the royal centric bathroom. Doe was more interested in the thin paper she'd found, specifically the last drawing at the end of the path. A treasure chest filled with riches.

Finally stepping out of the bathroom, she walked past the whistling James rested on the wall, presumably waiting for her.

She made a little motion to the outfit. "Better?"

"Yes, much.." James sprung up after her, following her into one of the dining rooms. Yes. "Does it hurt?"

Jane focused on the map. Passively responding. "No."

James whispered. "Good." Moving around the table next to her.

She pulled out one of the chairs sitting, rolling her eyes to see a steep dent and a lighter color rug. Where the chair's legs had stayed dormant for God knows how long.

"Who's a good boy?" James barely glanced at the map, petting the black dog weaving through his and Doe's legs.

He was a little interested in Doe, showing a glimpse of curiosity and something that wasn't a stack of papers.

Now this is just one. "So what have you found while being a burnt damsel?"

James had given up on asking about the ball today, some power and force higher than him had decided any try would result in hard luck and bodily harm.