breathin

2022 present time 

2022 present time 

Camille

I had never been this scared before, my hands were shaking vigorously as I looked out of the plane window.  I couldn't see much but blue sky and clouds. Uconn was my dream school, I had wanted to go there since I saw Maya Moore on television for the first time. But my stupid ACL injury fucked everything up just as colleges were accepting athletes. This was my second chance, I had never been more grateful but I couldn't help the overwhelming hole in my stomach consuming me bit by bit, trying to tell me every little thing that could go wrong, telling me I shouldn't have transferred and that I would probably be benched. I hoped that UConn would be my time to grow, don't get me wrong Villanova was great but I wasn't challenged enough last season. Hence why I'm on a plane to Connecticut right now. 

I put my AirPods in and played my Sza soundtrack, putting my hood over my head. Until I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turned to my side to see a little girl and what looked like her older sister standing together and looking at me, I smiled up at them as their mouths began to move.

"Hi, sorry to startle you, my name is Amy, and this is my little sister Alya" the older girl said to me. 

"We are huge fans!" the little girl yelped excitedly.

"We were wondering if we could get a photo? It's totally cool if not!"  Amy said. I felt really good when girls looked up to me, I would die to meet Maya Moore so I totally get it.

I gave them a smile and lifted down my hood before replying.

"yeah of course," I said.

I was still sitting in my aisle seat whilst the two girls positioned themselves beside me, The older girl took her phone out and took a couple of selfies. 

"Are you guys Villanova fans?" I asked

"No, actually we are Uconn fans because that's where we are from, but you played so amazing last season my sister and I got matching Villanova jerseys.

 "aw thank you guys! I'm sure you're excited about the move" I said pouting. 

The two girls left after chatting with me for a bit, it was kind of rare to see people know who you are outside of a basketball setting and who were genuinely interested in what you had to say rather than using you as a claim to fame.

I pulled my hood back over my head and readjusted my AirPods. I tucked a piece of my brown hair behind my ear before closing my eyes and drifting off to sleep. Before I knew it we had landed and I was officially about to start my Junior year. I could not be more nervous I mean there were so many things I had to worry about, Paige Bueckers for example, In high school we constantly were competing against each other in the ranks, To me she was my only real competitor. we had played in Team USA together back in 2019, but yet again we were just competing trying to be the best. We weren't not friendly but we never really got close. I more became friends with Caitlin Clark back then, although I haven't talked to her in a while. I should see how she's doing. 

anyways. 

One of the flight attendants came over to me and asked if I wanted to leave first along with a few other people, to be honest, I didn't really know why but I went along with it. I swiftly grabbed my bag from the overhead lockers and made my way down the plane. As I exited the aircraft and made my way to go get my luggage a couple of people tried to secretly take photos of me on their phones, assuming I wouldn't notice. I wasn't used to this much attention. Women's basketball was popular but I could still get around unnoticed most of the time.  

I quickly opened my phone's camera to check what I looked like as I waited for the Suitcase to come around the carousel, My hair was tied back in a bun but had gotten messy from my hood being over my head. I was wearing a matching grey tracksuit because I liked to be comfortable on planes. As I stared at my reflection on my phone, my suitcase came around and I grabbed it in a swift motion. starting to exit the airport. 

As I reached the fresh air, I took a deep breath. Letting out any anxious feeling I had. This was a good thing for me to do. 

"hey newbie" I heard a voice from the side of me, turning to see who it was.

A curly brown-haired girl stood there smiling. 

Azzi Fudd. wow, it had been a long time since I saw her. 

I ran up and hugged the girl leaving my suitcase unattended for a minute, probably not the best idea, oh well. Her arms wrapped around me in a warm embrace comforting me. we held the hug for about ten seconds. I screamed as I released from her looking the girl in her eyes. She was truly beautiful.

"I haven't seen you in ages oh my god!" I screamed in excitement.

"I know girl, long time no see!" she said laughing.

"Come on get your stuff the cars this way" she gestured with a smile on her face.

It was nice of her to pick me up from the airport, it made me feel welcomed. 

*

We made it into the car after chatting and laughing, Azzi and I immediately got along. We had always gotten along it was a shame that I didn't get to spend more time with her in Team USA. 

"Sooo you excited?" she asked

"More than you could ever imagine, I've legit been dreaming of Uconn since I was 11" I laughed.

 "Omg you sound exactly like Paige" she said laughing.

My face went a tiny bit red, nervous at the name. I didn't know how she felt about me, I know that I don't have any bad blood or anything. We were friendly but, I don't know I feel like whenever people put our names in the same sentence they are comparing us which is a bit weird for the both of us. 

"relax Camille, I promise Paige is cool." she smiled. I smiled at her response looking over at her to see her smiling back at me. 

Okay here we go Camille. 

_______________________

Hey guys just a short-ish chapter to start, the rest are going to be quite a bit longer, also this was kind of an introduction chapter as well. I have so much planned for the future, just y'all wait! it's gonna be good.