Brotherhood Reader- Part 1

Y/n was relatively used to waking up in strange places.

Still... the palace of Corona was a new one.

She was no stranger to unusual occurrences, though, considering her heritage.

Y/n was a member of the Brotherhood. She was the youngest- or at least she thought so, considering the only other member she had met was her father, Hector.

As far as she knew, the other members of the Brotherhood made a choice to join the clan- to protect the Moonstone, and to keep the secret of the Dark Kingdom. Not her, though. Since the day she was born, Y/n had seen the sigil on her hand, forged into her skin, and known exactly what it meant.

However, despite her lack of choice in the matter, she certainly wasn't complaining. Any other destiny seemed rather boring after the way she'd grown up.

Hector had been a harsh parent, but he'd raised her well, and he had his affectionate moments. He refused to let Y/n call him "Father" or "Dad" or any other term of affection, and never referred to her as anything other than her given name or "kid". The second she was old enough to hold a blade, Hector had Y/n begin training. She had been taught well. Y/n could wield a number of weapons, now, in her teenage years- swords, spears, javelins, daggers, bows, staffs, and quite a few others she couldn't be bothered to remember. She'd taken a liking to a certain weapon though- a long, elegant scythe, ebony, with a beautifully forged silver handle that curved like the moon she was sworn to serve.

Weaponry wasn't the only skill her father had taught her. From what she'd gathered, Hector cared for animals far more than he did people- if Y/n couldn't already tell from his rhinoceros and binturongs that he adored so much. The day she turned six, Hector had taken her out into the wilderness to find a creature that "spoke to her". Y/n had wandered the woods with her child's dagger for hours until she finally found what she was looking for- a raven. Not an average raven, though- even as a juvenile, this one was far larger than it should have been, with a wingspan of over three feet and a beak sharp as a razor.

She'd taken the chick back with her to Hector, who had helped her raise the animal. She'd named him (B/n), and the creature had grown as she did. Now, the bird stood even taller than (Y/n), with a wingspan wider than she was tall and talons sharper than the most fearsome blade. He even let her ride him, the two of them soaring through the skies- when he was in a good mood.

Hector commonly left Y/n to fend for herself. The both of them wandered certain areas, and while her father would come check in on her a few times a month, Y/n was mostly left alone to fulfill her duties.

It was nice. Y/n enjoyed the solitude, although it did make her smile to see genuine happiness on her father's face when they reunited after several weeks.

At least, it had been nice until Hector hadn't come to check in.

It was over a month before Y/n saw her father again. She had become worried, and soared the skies on (B/n)'s back in a black leather saddle, the both of them scanning the lands below for any sign of Hector.

Just when Y/n had become convinced that something terrible had happened, her father reappeared. He had looked terrible- Y/n asked him what had happened as she frantically tried to get answers, but all she had received were some unintelligible mumbles about a tree.

Hector had left soon afterwards, but Y/n had been retracing his steps, trying to find out exactly what it was that her father wasn't telling her.

Just when she had picked up a lead on the tree, though, something... strange had happened.

The mark on Y/n's left hand had begun to glow an icy blue, piercing the night around her.

Her scythe had clattered to the ground as Y/n frantically scratched at the glowing mark, but the blue glow only grew stronger. (B/n) had rushed over, and the glow had just kept growing and growing until-