xi | flying class

The Training Grounds

── •✧• ──

𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐍𝐎𝐎𝐍 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐈𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐅𝐋𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐎𝐍. The third years were already done with their classes for the day, so Ophelia sat down in the grass and observed from a distance.

"Ugh, they're so cute and little, I just wanna squeeze their faces," Hadley said as she plopped down next to Ophelia with a box of Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans.

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" Ophelia asked with an annoyed roll of her eyes. She scooted over to put a bit more space between them. "Like off somewhere wreaking havoc with Fred and George?"

"We're taking the afternoon off." Hadley tossed a bean into her mouth. She instantly spit it out, gagging. Judging by the colour, Ophelia assumed it was probably ear wax. "They're off somewhere doing something with Lee, and I don't really have any friends to hang with, so I thought I'd come see what you're doing."

"I'm trying to watch my brother and his classmates learn to fly, but I can't really do that with you running your mouth, now can I?" Ophelia quipped.

"Sorry," Hadley mumbled. She scrunched her brows and dug through the box of beans as Ophelia turned her attention back to the first years a couple yards away.

As excited as Dakota was about their first flying lesson, she was also quite nervous. She had a fear of heights and much preferred to keep both feet on the ground. If she were to fall off of her broomstick, she was certain that it would result in her immediate death.

"Good afternoon, class," Madam Hooch greeted them as she walked through the space between the two lines they were in.

"Good afternoon, Madam Hooch," the class chorused.

"Welcome to your first flying lesson. Well, what are you waiting for? Everyone step up to the left side of their broomstick."

The class did as they were told.

"Stick your right hand over the broom and say, 'up'."

Dakota placed her right hand over the broom. "Up." Nothing happened. Her jaw dropped when Harry's broom flew to his hand instantly. "Up," she repeated more forcefully. "Up!"

"Psst!" Tracey elbowed her gently. She had already summoned her broom. "What worked for me was picturing the broom flying up," she whispered. "You have to believe in yourself. Try again. I know you can do it."

"Thanks, Tracey." Dakota gave her a soft, thankful smile. She took a deep breath. Looking down at her broomstick, she imagined it flying up towards her hand as if it was a magnet. . .If magnets attracted wood, that is. "Up!" She gasped when her broom flew up into her hand. It was the first bit of real magic she'd managed to do all week. "Woah." She grinned. "Cool."

"Up!" Ron shouted. His broomstick shot up and smacked him in the face. Dakota covered her mouth to hide her amused smile.

"Now, once you've got hold of your broom, I want you to mount it and grip it tight," Madam Hooch instructed them. "You don't want to be sliding off the end. Straighten your posture, Miss Dursley. . .Good. Now, when I blow my whistle, I want each of you to kick off from the ground hard. Keep your brooms steady, hover for a moment, then lean forward slightly and touch back down. On my whistle. Three, two. . ." She blew her whistle.

Before Dakota even had the chance to do what their professor told them, Neville Longbottom rose slowly into the air. A terrified gasp fell from Ophelia's lips.

"Neville!" She jumped up from the floor and ran over to the group of first years, who were all watching as Neville soared clumsily through the air, bumping into the castle every which way he went. Ophelia took her wand out to see if she could slow down his broom before he got hurt, but he was moving so quickly that she wouldn't be able to get a clear shot.

Neville's robe suddenly got caught on the end of the spear a stone statue on the roof was holding. It easily ripped through the fabric and he fell, his robe getting caught again before he landed on the ground.

"Everyone out of the way!" Madam Hooch shouted. The group of first years moved aside to allow her and Ophelia a clear path to the boy.

"Merlin's beard, Neville!" Ophelia crouched down beside him. He was whimpering and holding onto his wrist.

"Ow, ow, ow." Neville winced in pain as Madam Hooch gently lifted his arm. Ophelia rubbed his back comfortingly.

"Oh, dear. It's a broken wrist," the professor said as she carefully examined his wrist. "Up you get." She and Ophelia helped him up off the ground. Neville leaned into his older sister for support when she put her arm around him. "Everyone's to keep their feet planted firmly on the ground while I take Mr. Longbottom to the hospital wing," Madam Hooch told the class. "Understand? If I see a single broom in the air, the one riding it will find themselves out of Hogwarts before they can say 'quidditch'."

Draco Malfoy smirked as they walked away. "Did you see his face?" he asked, tossing up the Remembrall Neville had received that morning at breakfast. "Maybe if the fat lump had given this a squeeze, he would have remembered to fall on his fat ass."

"Shut up, Malfoy." Dakota stepped forward, her eyes narrowing at the blonde boy. She held her hand out. "Give that to me. It doesn't belong to you."

"And what's a filthy little Mudblood like yourself going to do if I don't?" Draco asked, his smirk growing.

Hermione gasped. "Do not call her that!"

"Leave her alone, Malfoy." Harry pushed Dakota behind him and held his hand out for the Remembrall. "Give it here."

"No. I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find." Draco mounted his broom and slowly rose into the air. "How 'bout on the roof?" He flew high up into the air. "What's the matter, Pottah? Bit beyond your reach?"

"Harry, no way," Hermione said as Harry mounted his broom. "You heard what Madam Hooch said. Besides, you don't even know how to fly!" She sighed when the boy ignored her and took off. "Your cousin is an idiot, Dakota."

"Harry James Potter, you get down here, right now!" Dakota yelled. "You're gonna get in trouble! O-Or hurt! Harry!"

She watched nervously as Harry chased after the Remembrall, which Draco had thrown. He caught it just as it was about to hit a window. The group of first years cheered as he came back down.

Everyone congratulated him, but the celebration was short-lived when McGonagall came out. She told Harry to follow her, and Dakota couldn't help but worry that he was about to get thrown out of Hogwarts.