xviii | the stranger from the pub

Hogwarts Grounds

── •✧• ──

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐌 𝐉𝐔𝐍𝐄 𝐀𝐈𝐑 felt extra nice that day as the first years left their final exam for the year. Lyra, Aliyah, and Neville ran off to relax by the lake with Tonks and Ophelia whilst Dakota stayed behind with Hermione, Ron, and Harry.

"I'd always heard Hogwarts end of year exams were frightful, but I found that rather enjoyable," Hermione said as they walked through the courtyard.

"I feel like my head is about to explode," Dakota muttered, rubbing her aching temple. She'd never felt more academically drained in her life. She noticed Harry doing the same thing, only it was his scar that seemed to be bothering him. "You alright, Hairball?" she asked, gently nudging him with her shoulder.

"My scar," Harry whispered. "It keeps burning."

"It's happened before," Hermione pointed out.

"Not like this." Harry shook his head.

"Perhaps you should see the nurse?" Ron suggested as they went down the path towards Hagrid's hut.

"I think it's a warning. It means danger's coming." Harry suddenly stopped walking. "Oh. Of course."

"What is it?" Dakota asked.

Harry suddenly broke out into a brisk walk, the other three speeding up to match his pace. "Don't you think it's a bit odd that what Hagrid wants more than anything is a dragon and a stranger turns up who just happens to have one?"

"I did find that rather suspicious." Dakota nodded. "I mean, how many people just wander around with dragon eggs in their pockets?"

"Exactly!" Harry exasperated. "Why didn't I see it before?"

He started running, Ron, Hermione, and Dakota hurrying behind him. Hagrid was sitting out on his front steps playing his flute.

"Hagrid, who gave you the dragon egg?" Harry asked urgently when they reached him. The man lowered his flute. "What did he look like?"

"I don't know," Hagrid replied. "Never saw his face. He kept his hood up."

"This stranger, though," Dakota said, panting for breath, "you and he must have talked."

"Well, he wanted to know what sort of creatures I looked after. I told him. I said, 'After Fluffy, a dragon's gonna be no problem.'"

"Did he seem interested in Fluffy?" Harry pressed.

"Well, of course he was interested in Fluffy! How often do you come across a three-headed dog, even if you're in the trade? But I told him, I said, 'The trick with any beast is to know how to calm him.' Take Fluffy for example. Just play him a bit of music, and he falls straight to sleep!" Hagrid's eyes widened after he said that. The four friends exchanged looks with one another. "I shouldn't have told you that."

Dakota grinned and gave him a bow. "Thank you for your help, Mr. Hagrid. It is much appreciated. You just saved the world."

"Kody, come on!" Hermione grabbed her by the arm and pulled her away as they sprinted back to the castle, ignoring Hagrid calling after them.

They rushed through the front doors, their feet pounding down the corridor until they reached Professor McGonagall's classroom. The deputy headmistress looked up from the exams she was grading when she heard them come in.

"We have to see Professor Dumbledore, immediately!" Harry told her when they reached her desk.

"I'm afraid Professor Dumbledore is not here," McGonagall said. Dakota cursed quietly under her breath. It was just their luck that he was gone when they needed him most. "He received an urgent owl from the Ministry of Magic and left immediately for London."

"He's gone? Now?" Harry frowned nervously. "But this is important! This is about the Sorcerer's Stone! Someone's going to try and steal it!"

McGonagall's brows rose to her hairline. She stared at them in shock. "I don't know how you four found out about the stone, but I assure you, it is perfectly well protected. Now would you go back to your dormitories? Quietly."

Dakota let out a frustrated sigh as she followed her friends out of McGonagall's classroom. Why was it that adults never listened? Just because they were little didn't mean that they were making things up for fun. Why would they lie about something as important as this?

"That was no stranger Hagrid met in the village," Harry told them. "It was Snape, which means he knows how to get past Fluffy."

Dakota groaned. "Why are you so convinced that it's Snape? I'm telling you, Harry, you're wrong."

"Whether it's Snape or not," Hermione said, "with Dumbledore gone—"

"Good afternoon," Snape's cold voice interrupted. The quartet turned around, the Gryffindors exchanging nervous glances. "Now what would four young first years such as yourselves be doing inside on a day like this?"

"Uh. . .W-We. . .We were just. . ." Hermione stammered.

"You want to be careful," Snape warned. "People will think you're. . ." he glared at Harry, "up to something."

Ron turned to Dakota as the potions master walked away. "Still think he's one of the good guys, Dakota?"

The blonde crossed her arms. She thought that the Gryffindors were just being prejudiced. She'd seen Snape's nicer side and refused to jump to the conclusion that he was up to no good.

"Now what do we do?" Hermione asked.

"We go through the trapdoor," Harry declared without hesitation. "Tonight."