𝐇𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐓𝐨 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞. (Ashler)

𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙙 𝙋𝙚𝙧𝙨𝙤𝙣 𝙋𝙊𝙑:

Ashlyn and Tyler almost never got along, they were always competing against each other over the smallest things. So why were they in a relationship? If you were to ask either of them that question, they'd be unable to give a straight answer.

They weren't compatible, sure they tolerated one another but not enough to be actual friends, more so frenemies. They only got along when they needed to in the phantom dimension. Ashlyn was closed off and quiet, Tyler was athletic and popular. Opposites attract I suppose, though they'd had a difficult relationship.

The rest of the group knew about them being together, and of course supported them, but Taylor; Tyler's twin sister, knew they had problems that stayed hidden in the shadows of false love.

Right now, the group was in the phantom dimension, in real time it was around 5am. As usual, Tyler and Ashlyn were arguing over a plan.

"We can't do that, it's dangerous! Someone could get hurt!" Tyler shouted, his hands were balled up into fists, he was clearly frustrated.

"What else are we supposed to do? Stay stuck in this hell of a loophole?!" Ashlyn shot back, she wasn't one to yell unless she was extremely angry or frustrated.

"There has to be another way!" Tyler yelled, the rest of the group watched the two yell back and forth, deciding to stay out of it unless things got too heated. "Why don't you ever trust me Tyler?!" Ashlyn screamed, her voice was growing hoarse from yelling so much.

"Because your plans almost never work, we've all had multiple near death experiences thanks to your 'brilliant' ideas!" The taller boy replied, it was true. Ashlyn's plans were risky and someone got injured somehow almost every time.

"God why am I dating you?! You're so difficult to cooperate with!" Ashlyn spat, she was so angry that her hands were shaking. Tyler stood there stunned, honestly he didn't know the answer. He tried countless times to make this relationship work, but clearly his efforts failed. Neither of them got along, so how were they supposed to be together?

"Oh yeah?! I'm difficult to cooperate with?! Well why are you so fucking hard to love?!" Tyler raised his voice a bit. A few quiet gasps could be heard from the others. Ashlyn froze.

She was hard to love?

She tried so hard to be easy for Tyler's sake, were her efforts not enough? Did he even notice them?

The redhead girl stared at Tyler in disbelief. "So that's how you feel." she said in a lower tone. Tyler eventually processed what he said to her. "I didn't mean that Ash.." he said, Ashlyn shook her head and laughed under her breath, she took a few steps back.

"I'm not the only one who's hard to love." The girl said, her voice dull and cold. Since they were outside of the buses while in the graveyard, Ashlyn turned around and walked into the bus they held their supplies in without a word. Everyone else stood and watched her.

"Fuck." Tyler said, he reached up and ran his hand through his curly hair.

In the bus, Ashlyn sat on one of the seats in the back, her head rested against the window while she hugged her knees to her chest and stared up at the red sky. She didn't feel like crying, even if she was hurt. Instead she wore a blank expression.

"We're both hard to love.." She whispered to herself, Ashlyn clutched the bracelet that rested on her wrist, hidden by the sleeve of her suit. It was a bracelet that Tyler had given her a while ago, a bracelet that meant the most to her.

"Just not meant to be." Tyler said, Ashlyn's head shot up and she looked at the doors of the bus, there the boy stood. The others were outside, giving them space. Tyler wore a blank expression similar to Ashlyn's, but if you looked close enough, you could see the hurt in both of their eyes. "What are you doing in here?" Ashlyn questioned.

"We need to talk about us, Ash." He said, she remained silent, the one thing she dreaded most was happening. Tyler walked over and sat down on the seat beside Ashlyn. The girl tensed up slightly and moved over.

"Do you actually want this?" Ashlyn asked, her voice barely above a whisper, but due to the quiet Tyler could hear what she said. The boy remained silent for a moment while he thought.

Did he?

After a long minute of silence, Tyler finally responded. "I do. Do you?" he returned the question, now it was Ashlyn's turn to stay silent and think for a minute.

She did, Ashlyn wanted this to work.

"Yeah.. I do." She replied after a while. Ashlyn kept her gaze on the shadow covered world outside the school bus window. "But I think for now.. we need a break." She added, Tyler stayed silent, he understood but didn't know what to say.

"I think so too." He muttered, scratching the back of his neck. Ashlyn closed her eyes and exhaled deeply. "I want this to work between us, I don't want to lose you, but we need to give ourselves some time." Tyler said, his tone quiet.

Ashlyn nodded, she got up and headed for the doors. It was around 6:30am now and the dimensions would be switching soon. "We'll take a break then." She said, keeping her gaze on the floor. Before she could exit though, Tyler spoke. "Hey Ash?" he said, the girl looked back at him.

"Love you." He said.

Ashlyn stayed silent for a moment, her gaze returned to the floor of the bus.

"Love you too." She replied.

And with that, she exited the bus and closed the doors, leaving Tyler with his thoughts.

Ashlyn and Tyler were hard to love, they knew nothing about the subject, so how were they supposed to love one another?

It just wasn't meant to be, I suppose.

A/N: Here's some angst for y'all 🤗 this was a request from staaarezzz!! I'm sorry it's kinda short 😭