Chapter 12: A Dream induced dream

I was confused.

Dark familiar trees loomed overhead, the only sound being the wind and the faint sound of crickets. The moon shone above, keeping this place in the permanent state of night it's always been. The undergrowth was thin, and what did manage to grow never looked very healthy. The bare tree branches cut into the sky like claws.

This was the dark forest that surrounded Nightmare's castle. A place that held fond memories for me when I was younger. I would often go for walks out here. After getting lost a few to many times, Nightmare had paths made. One of those paths I was standing in right now.

But...how was I here?

I don't remember going for a walk...

I needed to get home before I got in trouble, I had no idea how long I had been out.

I began walking along the path, my footsteps beating a rhythm that almost made me uneasy. Something didn't feel right...I felt like I was forgetting something.

A tree creaked not too far away from me, and it made me jump, though my tendrils didn't fly out...was I finally getting a handle on them?

I reached up to rub my face when I froze. I looked down at my wrist as the metal band and a blinking light.

It all came rushing back, hitting me like a ton of bricks. I was found. I was kidnaped by a trio of dumbasses with hero complexes.

I looked around the dark forest. It didn't make any sense, how was I here then? My magic was blocked, I couldn't have made a portal. And the Star Sans don't know the location of Nightmare's castle. The only way I could be here is if this was...

A dream.

The realization made me stiffen. I hadn't had a dream since I was reincarnated. I had thought it was strange considering I was the son of someone called "Nightmare". So why would I randomly have a dream now, about home no less?

...

My eyes widened as I started to scan the trees. This forest was dark, I was sure that if this was what I thought it was, I would spot the culprit a mile away...

And sure enough. The flash of yellow.

"I saw you!" I shouted at them. Irritation clear in my voice. It stood in silence for a good few moments before the mastermind behind this stepped out from behind a tree with a soft smile that only made me want to punch him.

"So, you can talk." He said in a light teasing tone. "That was very perceptive of you. Not many monsters can tell when a dream was influenced."

I glared at him. Was he really trying to make conversation right now?! This was an invasion of privacy!

"Get out of my head." I growled. Hand clenched into fists.

"Oh, don't be like that. I'm just here to help. This...is an interesting place...My intention was to have you dream about a place that brings you comfort."

I continued to stare; arms crossed. Was he seriously judging me right now? Who doesn't like a nice walk in the forest?

Dream glanced around at the dark trees and half dead undergrowth, a look of mild unease on his face before he fixed it with a smile again, those his eye-lights shook slightly.

"What is this place?" He asked. It was clear that he could not feel the negative aura of this place. In dreams the only energy would be coming from the dreamer themselves. The look of the place was clashing with my emotions of it, and it was confusing him.

"That's none of your business." I hissed. What was Dream's goal here? Was he truly just trying to talk to me? Or was he trying to get me to somehow spill the location of Nightmare's dimension?

"Is this...did you grow up around here?"

The question was innocent enough. I took a deep breath. If there was the slightest chance, I could get through to Dream I had to try. But it would take a lot of convincing to get him to let me go home.

"Yes. I did." I answered simply.

Dreams' face seemed to light a bit when I answered his question, he walked up closer to me, and it took everything in my power not to take a large step back.

"I don't think we ever introduced ourselves. I'm Dream. Would you tell me your name?"

He spoke in a calm and sweet tone, like one would do to a child. It made me cringe. Nightmare, Killer, and the rest of the gang stopped treating me like a child around the age of ten. Which would seem like bad parenting but considering I already had the mind of a seventeen-year-old when I first reincarnated, and I acted smarter and older for my age, it was a breath of relief to me. But Dream didn't know me. Dream wasn't aware of anything about me. I sighed.

"My name is Crescent." I said flatly.

Dream seemed to smile at that, his eye lights flickering to the still shining moon above and the small crescent shape on my forehead. After a few moments of silence, he finally asked.

"Who are your parents, Crescent?"

The question hung in the air. Dream already knew. Or at least he knew who one of them was. Hiding it was pointless.

"Nightmare and Killer."

Dream's eyes widened.

"Killer? Really? Huh...I guess that does make the most sense. Killer never strays far from Nightmare in battle, and I get the sense he's the second in charge..."

I huffed as Dream continued to mumble to himself. Luckily the noise seemed to snap Dream out of it as he turned to me with a smile...this smile was...different. Softer...genuine.

"Do you know who I am?" He asked and I rolled my eye-lights.

"You told me your name like, five minutes ago." I deadpanned.

"No no that's not what I meant. I'm Nightmare's brother. That makes me your uncle."

So that's what this was about. Dream thought he would get points for being in the bloodline...or dustline...wait what do monsters call it? Never mind that. I glared up at Dream.

"No, you're not." I said, looking up at the golden guardian.

Dream furrowed his brow bones in confusion.

"What...? If you don't believe me then-"

"No, I believe you." I cut him off. "I just don't recognize you as my uncle, not even as family. You kidnapped me when I had done nothing wrong. You put a nullifier on me so I couldn't get home. And now you're invading my privacy by poking around in my head! You have given me no reason to respect or recognize you as family. And from what my parents have said about you, I don't think I ever will."

Dream had taken a few steps back, eyes wide. It took him a moment to find his voice.

"Look. Whatever you parents have told you...it most likely wasn't true. Your parents...Crescent...they're not...they're not good people."

I bristled. Oh, hell no he was not going there! The tone of the dream shifted as my emotions turned negative. My aura had been so monotone before, but now...

Dream took another step back, looking as if he had been hit by something.

"C-Crescent- calm down-" He seemed to choke on his own words.

"This is all in MY head right. I hold all the power." I looked down at my wrist, at the metal band and the flashing light. I grabbed onto it and snapped it like a dry twig, it fell off my wrist and onto the ground. My tendrils burst from my back and several knives materialized in the air.

"Get. Out. Of. My. Head." My voice was chilling and a few moments later everything went dark as Dream cut off the connection. 

A/N: *Slams this down.* HA! you thought I was gone again! Now have an irritating Dream and a Crescent that is DONE with his shit.
I really hope you like this chapter! I'm really happy with it!