Chapter 41

Third Person POV

The moon was shining brightly above in the night sky. The cool breeze made it hard to stay right next to the waves, but he knew. She didn't want to move. No one should see her like this, which is why she chose to sit pretty far from where the party was being taken place at. (Y/n) probably had already planned on crying tonight. Maybe Sukuna had disturbed her alone time. Even so, he didn't care. Nothing mattered to him at the moment, but the night was cold.. She was probably cold.

Sukuna sat there with an emotionless expression, wrapping his arm around next to the girl, providing her with any warmth he could from his body as she had her face buried against his chest. He could feel her tears through his shirt.

"Why...?" (Y/n)'s voice was low, but Sukuna could hear the shakiness and hurt in her voice. "Why..why..why? What did I do? What did I say? Why didn't I know better then? Why didn't I listen? I should've listened..."

He didn't look at her. He just stared at the ocean in front of them and sat very still.

'What is this feeling?'

'Why can I feel my heart pounding in my chest? ... Or is that her heartbeat?'

'It has to be.'

(Y/n) had ended up chuckling softly through her sobs which caught Sukuna off guard, but he didn't want to look at her. Not right now. Sukuna knew if he looked at her now, his body would act on instinct and he didn't want that.

"I'm so stupid..." She said with a smile as tears continued to stream down her cheeks. "I'm the one who got myself into this mess, and look at me. Feeling sorry for myself. I can't be like that."

(Y/n) pulled away from Sukuna while still laughing to herself, but he knew better. Her laughs were forced as she started wiping her tears away. Maybe (Y/n) did look at herself as an idiot, but she was too strong mentally and emotionally for her own good. Sukuna had issues long before she came along. He carried himself around with it. Now, he's the asshole everyone knows today.

'How is she not angry?'

'I'd kill every single one of those fuckers if they did that to me, just as they did to her.'

Sukuna had so many thoughts running through his head that he couldn't even comprehend. He kept his gaze on the water that was just inches away from them. A lump had formed in his throat once (Y/n) had opened her mouth. He couldn't talk to her even if he wanted to, he didn't want to. Sukuna swallowed hard, yet it still wouldn't go away. So, here he was, his teeth slightly grinding together to keep himself from saying anything.

"Sukuna?" (Y/n) looked at him and tilted her head to the side in confusion. Perhaps she made him uncomfortable?

"Look, (Y/n). I'm not going to use fancy words when I tell you what I'm about to tell you. I'm not even going to beat around the bush either. So, either you listen to what I have to say or you can go back to that fucking party with that fake fucking laugh that you think is working on me."

Despite how harsh Sukuna's words were, he got the same reaction from her.

Which was nothing, but a smile.

Sukuna was starting to think (Y/n)'s smiles were fake, but of course, she had her reasons and he wasn't going to argue over something he already knew about. (Y/n) hadn't moved an inch, so that told him everything. She was going to stay.

He took a deep breath before even starting. Sukuna didn't know why, but he was nervous. It could've been because he was most likely going to drive her away from him, or worse, everyone together. (Y/n) had already left situations when it got too hard without saying a word twice from everyone she had cared for those years ago. What made him think she wouldn't do it again?