25. Haunting Memory

Rovan

Sharp red eyes gazed at me, his pupils flattening and rounding like a feline's as he tried to read me. I only stirred my glass of liquor leisurely as I leaned back in my throne and waved the soldiers and guards away with a flick of the wrists.

"Your majesty," he said it tightly through grit teeth as he bowed his head, as if it hurt him to address me that way. Perhaps, he grew too used to seeing my neck under the shoe of his dead queen.

Convincing him I was still under her shoe was far too easy. People like him never expected much else from me other than battle to begin with.

Once the doors shut with a loud thud, I finally looked upon his small frame. He looked smaller from this angle, making him look like a prepubescent boy with the face of an old, unfortunate man. He was rumored to be 140 years old, and I was willing to bet that all that magic was causing his less than pleasing looks.

"Do you know why you're here?" I inquired.

He shook his head.

"Do you not have a tongue?" A sharp edge rose out of my voice impatiently.

"No, your majesty. I do not know why I am here." He answered immediately.

I studied him for a second. Because of his complex, I knew he craved to have some sort of power to exert and compensate for his short stature, though nobody truly cares about it. This is why I chose to meet him formally in my best attire and a heavy, annoying crown atop my head. He had to see all that could be his and snatch the bait I put in his lap.

"With the Queen gone, I've been thinking of selecting an advisor." My pointer finger traced the rim of the glass carefully.

He raised a brow in interest, "May I ask why?"

Looking away, I placed the cup on the flat area of the armrest and stood up to pace on the platform

"I quite like being king, and I've had my bit of fun..." I moved from the left of the throne toward him.  "But I don't care about politics. I never did."

A pause of silence rose between us as I stopped in front of him and gazed upon him like a serpent with its eye on its prey. He seemed to believe it, which didn't surprise me. I was always a sword swinging buffoon to these people.

"That's why you're here." I tilted my head. "I need someone to pass the crown to."

Interest sparked in his body judging by his stiffening posture, and the way he then tried to act disinterested as if he was a humble man.

"I don't know how I could possibly presume such a role."

I clicked my tongue, "You dare question my decision?"

He shook his head rather smugly as he looked up and lowered his head, "Say the word, your majesty."

"Don't get ahead of yourself. You must pass the test and prove you can protect your throne. While I am away to monitor my troops, I want you to find those who would challenge me and kill them."

He frowned, "What about you? How can I trust you're not just trying to eliminate the competition?"

I turned to grab my liquor and sipped it.

"A soldier's place is on the battlefield." Sighing as I spoke my truth aloud, I turned and downed the liquor in one go. "I learned that the hard way."

He stared at my grim expression as I moved on, "I already know who they are. It's up to you to figure it out on your own. Get rid of them before I do, and the crown is yours."