3

Catherine was deeply engrossed in prayer before the statue of the Virgin Mary, her eyes closed and her hands clasped tightly in front of her. She was fervently asking for guidance and strength from the divine, completely unaware of the footsteps approaching her from behind.

As she opened her eyes, she saw her stepfather, Lord Stafford, standing beside her. He greeted her with a smile and complimented her on how much she resembled her mother. Catherine acknowledged his words with a nod and a small smile, still in a prayerful state.

Lord Stafford then went on to inform Catherine that he had been actively searching for a suitable husband for her, but the match he had arranged had been taken by the queen for her sister, who was marrying his nephew, the Duke of Buckingham. He expressed his regret and disappointment at this turn of events.

As Catherine listened to Lord Stafford's news, she remained calm and dignified, thanking him for his efforts and expressing her hope that the newlyweds would be happy. Lord Stafford was visibly pleased with Catherine's graciousness and allowed her to leave.

Catherine made her way back to her chambers, where she sat peacefully by the window and focused on her embroidery, a hobby that she had always enjoyed. She looked up and smiled as her mother, Margaret, entered the room.

Margaret walked over to her daughter, pulling her close, and spoke with a heavy heart. She explained that she needed Catherine's help to ensure that Henry, Margaret's son and Catherine's brother, would ascend to the throne if the King died without heirs. Margaret knew that Catherine had the potential to do great things for England, just like her brother. She also knew that knowing how to act and behave as a court lady would help Henry become a good king.

Despite the weight of her decision, Margaret knew that it was necessary to ask her daughter to join the York side at court. Catherine could become a duchess or a countess, even though Margaret recognized that it wasn't what Catherine truly desired. She approached her daughter and spoke with a heavy heart, "Daughter, I'm going to send you to the court. I want you to pretend to join the York side."

Catherine listened attentively to her mother's words and understood the gravity of the situation. She knew that this decision would help God's plan and assist Henry to ascend to the throne as he rightfully should. With a sense of duty, Catherine agreed to her mother's request, "I understand, my lady mother. I'll do what I must to help God's plan and to help Henry ascend to the throne."

Margaret held her daughter close to her chest, knowing that this decision was a difficult one, but it had to be made. As she rocked back and forth, the weight of her decision weighed heavily on her. She knew that her daughter was now embarking on a challenging journey, one that would test her loyalty and her resilience. But Margaret was also confident that Catherine had the strength and the fortitude to succeed.