4

The court was bustling with activity as the dark-haired child, Catherine, looked around in awe. She was one of the youngest maids in the queen's household, dressed in a simple grey gown with a warm winter cloak wrapped tightly around her tiny body. She gazed up at her mother, who smiled warily at her daughter as they waited to be let into the chamber of the queen of England, Margaret of Anjou.

As they entered, one of the ladies of Queen Margaret informed them that the queen was out praying, but they could still enter. Catherine and her mother were led into one of the grandest rooms the young girl had ever seen. Her honey brown eyes widened at the sight of the splendid room, adorned with intricate designs and luxurious furnishings. She was in awe of such grandeur.

Queen Margaret, who was seated on a grand throne-like chair, called out, "Lady Stafford, Mistress Catherine." She wore a dark red ruby-colored gown, and lutes played in the background, adding to the majestic atmosphere.

The mother and daughter pair curtsied lower than normal as they spoke, "My lady queen."

"Rise, Lady Stafford and Mistress Tudor," commanded Queen Margaret, and the two gracefully raised up.

"Mistress Tudor, you shall be joining my household," said Queen Margaret, eyeing the young girl who stood next to her mother. The child would surely grow to be a beauty, albeit short in stature.

"Yes, your grace, only if you wish me to be part of your household," spoke Catherine Tudor, smiling kindly at the feared she-wolf, the red queen.

"You shall shine among my household, young lady," spoke Queen Margaret, her voice filled with pride and admiration for the little girl who had caught her eye.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Catherine was diligently working on her needlework when she heard her mistress, the queen, call out her name. She quickly and carefully placed her things on her chair and walked over to the queen, ready to assist her in any way she could. The queen had a somewhat stern expression on her face as she held a book, the holy book, and asked Catherine if she had been writing to her brother, the Earl of Richmond.

Catherine bowed her head and spoke softly, admitting that she had indeed been corresponding with her brother. The queen then revealed that the king wished for his brother and nephew to join them for Christmas, along with Catherine's mother, and asked Catherine to write to her brother and uncle to invite them to court.

Overjoyed at the news, Catherine happily agreed and thanked the queen for the opportunity. The queen showed a rare affection to the young girl, patting her dark-haired head before ordering her to write the letter and attend her lessons.

Excited about the prospect of seeing her brother and uncle, Catherine ran to her friend, Anne Isle, to share the news. Anne listened intently as Catherine eagerly spoke about how she couldn't wait to see her family and present them with the gifts she had planned for them. Anne, who was a couple of years older than Catherine, smiled softly and wished her friend a happy Christmastide.