It Still Beats

I do not own the characters, I just play with them!

Shinji had woken up right next to Kaworu. The albino boy was already awake, watching him with curious eyes, observing him.

"Where are we?", Shinji asked. The light was so blinding he had to shield hies eyes, making him unable to notice his surroundings. 

"I suppose this is the afterlife", Kaworu laughed, ponting in every direction.

Once Shinji's eyes adjusted he was met with an empty white room.  "Is this what the fuss was all about?", the truth was that in all of the movies he had seen the afterlife was portrayed exactly like this which he always thought was boring and not at all creative. He wasn't very happy to find out that he risked his sanity and maybe even his life for...this.

Kaworu gave him a sall knowing smile "Guess so", he said "I did not expect it myself". 

Shinji returned his smile as best as he could in his confusion "What do we do now?", he asked.

"I wish I knew", Kaworu sighed "They didn't train me for this". 

"Then let's just wait for something to happen", the brunet offered. 

Kaworu looked upset so Shinji asked him what was wrong.

"The effect of the drug will wear off soon. They will not be happy at all to find out that we did not collect any information", the taller boy got up and put his hands in his pockets, eyes searching. For what Shinji did not know.

"No one told me I had to collect any kind of information", Shinji stood up next to the taller boy, almost falling down when a wave of dizziness hit him, but Kaworu was there to catch him. He blushed and muttered a quick 'thank you'.  

"They told me to, though", he paused for a while, his expression going blank until he turned his head to look at his companion. 

Shinji noticed that something was wrong, the way Kaworu stiffened when he thought about the orders they gave him, made him upset. "What will happen if you do not find anything?", the suspicion is evident in his tone. After all he did not trust his so called father even a little bit. The man would do anything to get what he wanted. The fact that Shinji had to be a part of this cruel experiment should be enough to prove it.

"My job is to obey their orders, if I fail to do what they want me to.... I would gladly accept any punishment they see fitting.

"Kaworu", Shinji stared at him with a shocked expression as he spoke "That sounds so wrong, they have no right to punish you at all, nor treat you like you exist to do whatever they say".

"They have to right to though", the white haired boy looked away "They specifically created me for that reason". 

"No human is created for that reason", the brunet insisted. He could not believe what Kaworu was saying, his mother had raised him like that. His heart sunk a bit with the thought of his mother but he payed it no mind.

Kaworu chuckled "They didn't tell you, Shinji-kun? I am not human". 

Shinji looked at him confused, mostly because he had just said that he is not human, but also because he said his name for the first time, making his heart beat so fast it almost jumped out of his chest. Ignoring the later thought, he asked "What are you then?"

The other boy thought for a while before giving his answer confidently "I am what you humans call a cyborg. I was involved in an accident when I was 5 years old, NERV found me and now I am like this".

Shinji out of fear of being rude said the first thing that came to his mind "What accident?".

"A car accident", Kaworu answered "Or so they tell me. I don't actually remember anything from the accident or being a human".