Final Destination

To all my readers remaining out there: This is the last chapter, including the epilogue. The story was not gaining much attention so... yeah. This is gonna be a big chapter though and I hope it answers all of your questions. I plan to write a recap when I find the time. Thanks for reading.  

I do not own these characters, I give them what they deserve. 

****************************************************************** 

Part One: The Memories I Thought I Had Forgotten 

After Tabris left, Shinji and Kaworu stood motionless in front of the door. They had no idea what the man meant by "find your way back to life" or where the door he left behind lead.  

Shinji seemed okay with just waiting. Kaworu though was afraid of what punishment awaited him if the results he brought where not the desired ones. They were pretty creative when it came to punishment, they could make even a cyborg scream and beg for mercy. After all they built him, they know his weaknesses. 

"Shinji", he spoke "I am here for you. And besides we are already dead so nothing worse can happen". 

Shinji shook his head. It was true that he was not prepared for any of this, that he had no idea what he was doing and of course that he was afraid. He didn't want Kaworu to think that it was his job to protect him though. He was strong even if he might not look like he was. The way he acted till now was unacceptable, it made him mad with himself.  

"No, Kaworu", he took his hand in his "We're here for each other". It was better for them to work like a team than having one of them act like a hero and take all responsibility.  

Kaworu's eyes widened. Not once had someone spoke to him with such kindness, no one said they would be there for him. Of course they all believed that Kaworu could take everything without once breaking. All of that because he had a body and a heart made of steel. Kaworu though felt like he was made of glass; he always broke down when he knew no one could see him. Maybe he was a failed experiment and deserved to be treated like one.  

Not being able to find a response, a first for him, he just held tighter to the brunet's hand. If asked, he would admit that it felt good, he wasn't though. 

"Don't let go of my hand", Shinji's voice sounded stronger than ever, he surprised even himself, "Let's go in together". 

Without answering  the taller boy pushed the door open and with their hand linked they entered the unknown once more. 

*

How many times was it till now that Kaworu did not expect what he saw? Add another one. They were standing inside what seemed like a little boy's room. Unimpressed he turned to face Shinji who was wearing an equally shocked and confused expression. 

"What is it?", he asked, holding their still linked hands tighter. 

"This is my room", the brunet stated. 

"Impossible", Kaworu gasped nexto to him "We came back just like that?". 

"No, this used to be my room when I was younger. Gendo was still living with us back then", Shinji explained.  

"Oh, I see now", Kaworu laughed "I should have expected it". 

"You see? Explain then", he requested. 

"To find our way back", the cyborg begun "We need to go through our memories".  

"Our memories", the confused look made an  appearance once again "All of them? Won't that take a lot of time?".