26 | Vile & Verified

I did it.

I gouged out Aqsa's eyeballs.

Faizan had seen my hesitation and had quickly grabbed my hand and forcefully jammed my hand with the spoon into Aqsa's sockets.

She does not have eyes anymore. She really has no eyes.

Blood was dripping down her temples, into her ears, onto the altar and then splattered to the floor. People behind us cried and shrieked when they realized what had just happened. I screamed and struggled to swallow the vomit because I didn't want to throw up on the child. I had half a mind to redirect the vomit towards Faizan, but then he'd probably make me do something worse, and I could not process what more he would possibly have in mind.

The devil ordered one of the men to retrieve the raw, bloodied eyeballs - with part of the optic nerve attached to each - and place them in a container that was provided by the medical examiner, a grisly-looking man who had such a horrible face. Men spoke in Arabic around me in hushed tones, briefly mentioning that "the little girl should awaken from the chloroform effect soon".

I was sure of only one thing: I did not want to be here when Aqsa wakes up.

She may not be able to see me, but I knew I wouldn't be able to bear looking at what I had done to her face.

I would never recover from this.

"Alright, Hayat, you may go back to your room now," Faizan announced, grinning widely. "Thank you so much for your cooperation. As I told you earlier, you can help yourself to the food supply I sent you. I also left a bucket of water in the corner of the room. Don't be too thirsty though, that bucket is meant to last you a week. Can I trust you to go back on your own, or would you like an escort?"

It took a while for me to find my voice. "I...I can do it."

"Good. I wouldn't want to have to tear up your back anymore than it is already, if you decide to escape the grounds." Faizan narrowed his eyes at me with a smirk.

I wasn't even planning on running off ever again anyways.

The medical examiner spoke about me to Faizan in Arabic, assuming that I was unfamiliar with the language. "What about this one? She looks like she could offer more than just eyes."

"Some time later," Faizan replied as I stormed out of the sanctuary as fast as my wobbly legs would take me.

Prolonging my journey back to the dungeon room, I took small steps as I strode to the back of the church with my head bowed, not making any eye contact with Tala, or anybody else in the room who gawked at me with disbelief. As soon as I had reached the door, a piercing wail erupted and echoed throughout the entire church. I whipped my head around, knowing very well who the source of the scream was.

Aqsa, screaming terribly loud, had woken up and her small hands flew to her face in horror when she realized what happened.

Would she even be able to cry?

Her screeches increased in volume, and I dashed out of the building and into the courtyard like a coward, running away from my unforgivable wrongdoing, to say the least. Panting heavily as I raced down the stairs that led to the dungeon, I skidded to a stop in front of the door, furiously wiping my slightly bloodstained hands on my abaya. My hand shook so much that it took the measly strength of both hands to even turn the knob. A strange sight awaited me inside.

Little Saad curled up and rested his head against Ahsan's chest and Ahsan's arms were wrapped around the baby protectively.

The eighth wonder of the world was right before my eyes.