39 | Now & Never

"I wish your idea could have worked," I mumbled out of the blue.

Ahsan scoffed lightly. "The world hates me already and it'll hate me even more if you gave birth to the child of a terrorist."

"The world may hate you, but I don't. And right now, that's all that matters," I assured him firmly.

A few more silent moments passed between us until he revved up the conversation again. "Hey, wanna know a fun fact?"

"Uh, sure?"

"It's a common misconception that people die from hanging due to suffocation, but it's actually because the second vertebrae at the back of your neck cracks, which cuts off all signals to and from the brain."

All hints of subtle happiness instantly vanished from my face.

"I'm sorry," he apologized quickly.

"It just gave me a gruesome image in my head."

"Sorry, love. I didn't mean to upset you. I was just...thinking of things."

"It's...it's fine. And don't call me that."

"Call you what?"

"Love," I said with a grimace.

Confusion spread across his face. "Why not?"

"Faizan used to call me that and each time, it just sounded horrible to my ears. The word doesn't sit well with me anymore."

"Hm," he mumbled thoughtfully. "Don't let him change your perception of something pure and good. Don't let him control your thoughts and actions. Then again, I shouldn't be the one to advise you in this department. It's easier said than done."

"I know. It'll take time."

"But, I'd still like to give you a nickname," he mused.

"You can call me whatever else you'd like."

"Yeah, but it should be a good one. Let me think." Ahsan scrunched up his face and tapped his chin. "Got it!"

"So what will it be?"

"Okay, it's not very creative and original, but I think it fits perfectly."

"And that would be...?"

"Hayati."

Hayati.

My life in Arabic.

My heart swelled and I downplayed my feelings to stop myself from tearing up. "How is that a nickname? That's longer than my actual name!"

"By one letter," Ahsan scowled, even though it was obvious to him that I loved the new name. "Literally."

"One letter can make all the difference!"

"Just appreciate my kindness, okay?" He rolled his eyes. "In my head, I used to call you Churail, so be happy with what you have now."

"Churail?" My jaw clasped and unclasped itself from the sudden confession. "Why!"

"I don't know, I used to thinking you were annoying. I still kinda do..."

"So you thought of me as a witch."

"Something like that." Ahsan grinned.

"Well then, I had a bunch of colorful words for you in my head too."

"Oh really?" He was enjoying this. "Like what?"

"Like idiot, jerk, and some other unspeakable things as well."