The Present: Love And Friends

AN: My knowledge about heart failure is not very extensive so please forgive any mistakes and correct me.
Love is forever,
And if we die,
We die together
*
Shinji and Kaworu attended the same college and decided to move together. Their friends all thought it was a rushed desition, except for Rei, who looked at them knowingly. Kaworu realised that his dimension sliding had affected not only him and Shinji, but also the people that always seemed to be there with them.
What he liked about this world were the changes it had brought. Rei was much more talkative and bad a healthy relationship with Kensuke who was more confident than Kaworu ever remembered him to be. Asuka and Mari were unusually shy and though they were crazy in love with each other, they never showed it in public. Touji and Hikari were... Well, some things never change. Hikari was not as shy as she used to be, but they both still hate-loved each other though they would never admit it. Even Gendo was different, still as cold and distant as ever, but a caring father who at least tried to be good for his son.
His love, Shinji, was the best surprise of all; He was strong, confident and refused to give up.
Kaworu felt a lot of hope.
*
One day Rei invited him to have coffee and talk.
"I remember", she said after a bit of small talk, "I have this feeling that I wasn't there for the whole story, but I know that you'll be good for Shinji".
"Indeed", Kaworu took a ship of his coffee, "There's so many you don't know, but I want to make him happy, you are right about that".
"Good", Rei smiled, "He can't afford to have his heart broken".
The albino gave a small nod in return.
"Does Kensuke know?", he and Kaworu grew up together, but the boy never showed any indication that he did remember.
"No", she gave a faint smile, "And I like it that way, we didn't really have any nice memories".
They both laughed. Never had Kaworu thought that he would laugh at his torturous past.
*
Kaworu and Shinji had been carrying things to their new appartment. The albino made sure to always ask his boyfriend if he was okay, and no matter how much Shinji insisted he could do it, he got tired an hour after running up and down the stairs that lead to their home.
"Why don't you rest, Shinji?", Kaworu offered, "You have already been a great help".
The brunet put his hands around his boyfriend's neck, "Too tired", he whispered sleepily, "Carry me".
Kaworu was sure he had never seen a cutter sight in his entire lives.

Everything was taken care of when the shorter boy woke up, leaving them plenty of time to spend together.
"I am sorry", the brunet apologised, "I wanted to do more than that".
Kaworu wanted to argue and let him know he had done more than enough, but decided against it. "Why don't you order us something to eat then? We'll unpack tomorrow".
"Okay", Shinji smiled, "Take out some sheets to sleep with tonight".
Finally, theg were going to sleep together.
*
"When I first remembered about us... I was worried", Shinji admitted.
Before saying anything, Kaworu got closer to Shinji on the bed and kissed him gently on his lips, "Worried about what?".
He thought about it for a bit, searching for the right words, "That you wouldn't remember... Or that you wouldn't make it in time".
Kaworu's heart broke at the later, but he remained calm and collected for Shinji, "Well, here we are", he kissed the top of his head.
"It couldn't have been any better", Shinji agreed, but something sounded off, "I wish the medicines would work though".
"The doctors said we can keep relying on them for a while longer", Kaworu reasoned.
"Yeah", the brunet smiled, "We just have to hope for the better".
"That's my boy".
The shorter boy blushed.
"What?", the albino chuckled.
"It's just that...So much has changed since then, I have grown a bit shy to you again".
Kaworu grinned, "Then I just have to open you up again".
Leaving no time for him to reply, he captured his lips in a gentle but firm kiss.
"Not wasting any time, I see", Shinji commented once they broke away from each other. "There is too much to make up for", after that, they kissed again.
*
Hikari.
Touji hated her. She was just so annoying, stupid...Smart,cute and beautiful.
No,no. Not this again.
He turned his head to look at her from across the library. As usually, she was alone and focused on her books. She had a lot of friends, but when she was studying she had this fierce aura that screamed "Stay away".
He liked that about her too...So focused on her goals.
No!No!Stop. It. Touji.
Suddenly Hikari locked eyes with him, he felt the need to look away but he just couldn't, not even as she got up and made her way towards him.
"Hi", she said once she was only a few feet away, "Have you eaten anything today?".
"Hi", he waved, "No, why do you ask?".
"Well", she started looking through her bag. After a bit of searching, he presented a lunch box.
"I made you lunch".
Something clicked inside Touji.
Memories flooded his mind.
Nothing made sense and then, everything did.
There was happiness and there there was destruction, so much blood.
After that there was only desperation. The Evas and the angels. Trying to be happy, failure...More despair.
But always, there had been a ray of sunshine.
"Hikari?", he asked, "Are you Hikari?".
"Yeah...", the freckled girl looked confused.
"It's me", he said as if she didn't know who he was, "Touji".
Was he going crazy? What was happening to him? Hikari did not seem to know anything. Maybe there was nothing to know, maybe his mind was just playing games with him.
Suddenly a thought crossed his mind; Shinji and Kaworu had moved together only after months of meeting each other, and they started dating after... Days? Maybe they knew too.
Touji needed to know what the thoughts that filled his mind were.
*
AN: Weeell, I said I wouldn't write anymore but scratch that! Know this kiddos, you must never give up.
Throws some Touji/Hikari bc cuuute. So where did Kensuke/Rei came from? Well, they are both nerds in my mind and also plot twist? Asuka/Mari are otp though so they will be the background relationship in the next chap!