Chapter Fourteen - His Face

His face from the other day haunts me at all hours, the shock on his face as I tell him I'm scared of him, his piercing eyes gaze into my soul. I hadn't seen him since then, he had put himself into his work, training with Max all hours of the day from what Tori told me, he had been to the tattoo shop, maybe hoping I'd be there, but I had been on a leave to get ready for the baby, I had taken up Tori's spare room and I had been gathering baby furniture and clothing in-case I didn't go back to Eric's and I's apartment. Tori had told me he had gotten some more tattoos, this time on his forearms, and I nodded to myself as she explained what they were, trying to imagine them on his smooth skin.

I had one appointment at the infirmary to check on the baby today, as I was getting ready, a knock came up on her door so I quickly put a t-shirt on and rushed to the door. I gasped a little when I saw Eric standing there, his hands together in-front of me, I cleared my throat and looked at his arms, seeing the new tattoos, mazes covered them.

"I was wondering.." He started, stopping to swallow before continuing, "If I could come with you to your appointment." He stated, not really asking, not really telling me he was coming. I bite my lip as I think about it, "I want to show you that I haven't changed, that I do still love you and our baby." He confessed and I felt my cheeks warm up, "Also, I want to prove that I would never harm you or our baby, but instead I will promise to protect you both." He finished and I gapped at him, shocked at the emotion he was currently showing, it was like he was a new person, I was used to the Eric that I had been shown the past the few days. I blink at him, still shocked.

"Uh, yeah, you can come, I mean, yeah, it's your child, you're always welcome to come to the appointments." I stammer, and he smiles a little, but I notice the relief on his face. I let him come inside Tori's apartment and he follows me into the spare room that I had been living in and glance over all the baby furniture and clothing I had gathered the past few days. He picks one of the baby-grows up and smiles a little, it's black, the signature colour for Dauntless and in grey, stitched writing across the chest it says 'Daddy's little fighter', his finger runs over the stitching. I watch him look over everything before grabbing a big jacket from my clothes and shove my arms through the jacket, letting the fabric swarm me.

"Do you like it?" I ask, watching him jump a little, he looks up at me in question, "The baby-grow," I point to the one in his hands, "Do you like it?" I ask again and he nods, a small smile growing on his lips as he looks at it again. He puts it down, on-top of the other clothing and turns to me.

"Ready to go?" He asks and I nod my head, walking out of the room, him following closely behind. I lock Tori's door and then we both make our way to the infirmary. The nurse smiles encouragingly as she sets up the machine and I get ready, remembering that last time I did this; alone. Eric grasps my hand tightly, as the gel is squirted onto my stomach. I hiss a little as the coldness hits me and then the nurse places the wand of the machine onto my stomach, switching on the sound so we could hear the baby's heartbeat. Eric's hand became tighter around my own as the image of our child came across the screen, the heartbeat pumping each second.

His fingers make their way through mine, linking together.

A few minutes later, after a few buttons being clicked, the nurse turned to us both with a smile, "Would you like to know the gender?" She asked and I nodded with a grin, feeling the happiness burst inside me, I looked over at Eric, as did the nurse and he nodded, a smile tugging at his lips, I look back at the nurse as she looks over the sonogram again, looking closely before turning to us both, her eyes shining.

"You're having a baby girl." She announces and I gasp in delight, the happiness too much to contain inside me. I feel lips on my hand and I turn to face Eric, who's lips are on my knuckles, his eyes connect with mine for a brief moment before looking back at the sonogram screen. The nurse clicks some more buttons before walking away, letting us live in the moment. She comes back moments later, with more sonogram pictures, and she hands them to me, along with some paper towels to remove the gel from my stomach. I hand over the pictures to Eric as I clean myself up, feeling giddy.

His eyes never leave the picture, even as we stand to leave, his hand holds mine but his eyes never leave. I take one of the pictures from him as we reach Tori's apartment and his eyes quickly jump to mine as the picture leaves his grasp as did my hand. I hold the picture in both of my hands as I stand in-front the door, he just stares at me, his eyes seem warmer than usual, his usual cold eyes, seem like warm pools.

"What are we going to do?" Eric asks and I look at him in confusion, "About us? Are we even together, I don't know what I can do or say to get you to come back home to me." He explains and I frown, not even sure myself of what he could do to stop these dreams of him hurting me, I don't know what I could say to make this all better for the three of us.

"I don't know Eric, I really don't know." I say as tears begin to form in my eyes, my lips wobble as I fight the urge to sob, "I want to go home I really do but.." I stop myself short.

"But?" Eric questions, stepping closer to me.

"I can't stop the dreams." I say

"What dreams?" He asks, his hands coming to my shoulders.

"The dreams where you hurt me." I admit, feeling the tears fall down my face, he looks down at me in shock, no sounds, no movement between us.