Chapter 8: Explanation

"Excuse me? Can you repeat that?" asked May, panicking.
" What knowledge do you have of the belt?"
" The belt?" repeated May. Lief nodded.
" Well, I don't really remember my past much with this big headache. But I do remember a time my parents gave me a copy of the book. What was it called again? Oh, that's right! The Belt of-"
" Deltora!" exclaimed Lief.
" That's right. It wasn't very good, just papers and all. But I do remember getting lots of information about the belt there. It was only when I saw it around your waist, I just knew that was the one."
" Really. Huh..." There was silence for a few minutes, when Jasmine stirred a little in her sleep. May smiled, to see her face peaceful for once and then noticed that one particular animal was not by her side.
" Um... Lief. Where's Kree?" Lief from her to Jasmine, then sighed.
" Well, it kinda goes like this..."

The three of them began to walk deeper into the forest, when Kree was squawking furiously. Jasmine slowly down a bit and patted Kree gently.
" It's seems like Kree is more scared than ever before." Lief grunted, as he turned around. May hung lifelessly on his back and he was having trouble to keep up with them.
" Here. Let me take her," suggested Barda.
" Thanks" replied Lief, stretching. He turned to Jasmine." If I do recall, the giant explained that Thagean's favourite food is a raven, alive and whole."
Jasmine sighed." Kree's whole family was taken away by that evil witch. Kree was just a baby, he hadn't even flown out the nest yet. So in a way he just like me... Cause I was also very young when the grey guards took my father and mother. Kree and I have been living together for a long time now." Kree cawed in response." ...But I think it's time for us to go our separate ways. I can't stand the thought that I'm leading you to danger. So I want you to go home."
Filli looked at Jasmine and squeaked. Barda and Lief looked at her in surprise.
" Wait, Jasmine... Are you sure about this?" Asked Lief. Jasmine just smiled, but everyone knew it was obviously forced." If I survive, I promise I will come back to you. If I don't, at least you will be safe. Now go! Go!" She yelled, waving her arm, indicating Kree to fly upwards. But he wouldn't get off.
" I told you to go home!" pleaded Jasmine. This made Kree reluctantly let go of her and flew off, squawking very loudly. Jasmine looked downcasted, but kept on walking." I think we should be going," she replied. Barda and Lief looked at her, guiltily. The only sound they heard was of Kree squawking into the distance...

" Oh, it that what happened?..." replied May. Lief nodded. In her head, she ticked off the events that happened so far and came to an conclusion of what might happen next.
Lief on the other side looked out into the distance, as he thought of the conversation he had with Jasmine earlier.

The four of them were deep in the forest at the time and Barda started to slow down, tempted to sit down and rest." I think we should rest," he suggested. Jasmine turned around formed for once and nodded. She then turned to the trees and started talking to them. Lief and Barda, who were still getting used to her habit, looked away from her. Barda made sure that May was resting comfortably against a large tree. While Lief somehow managed to find courage and walk up to Jasmine, whose back faced him.
" Jasmine... I'm sorry." She looked back at him in surprise. Lief continued.
" You had really good reason for not going into Thaegan's territory. I didn't realised that they were that personal." Jasmine looked ahead of her, her mind far off.
" Thaegan seems to hate any living creature that is beautiful, happy or life's freely in this world." Two birds chattered loudly in a tree, nearby. Making Jasmine sigh.
" Hear those two birds?" said Jasmine." Well, that's what they're talking about. They're saying that somewhere around the Lake of Tears there was once a town called D'or. D'or means the town of gold, beautiful flowers blossomed full of life and tall trees were found throughout the town. There was a magnificent tower, and the people there were happy. But now... There's nothing left of the town. All because of Thegean and her children." Jasmine closed her eyes, in order to maintain her emotions. Lief looked down, in dismay.
" Thegean is evil... She destroys everything." There was silence among the two of them, both of them no knowing what to say.
--
Italic Bold = Flashbacks