Chapter 6; A Little Thief

"Steve?" Maggie's quiet voice asked the Avenger as they sat on the bench by the elephants section

"Yeah, sweetie?" He asked the small child. The rest of the Avengerso stood by the railings of the pen, goofing off. All except Natasha, who was trying to keep them in check.

"You've been around my dad a lot right?" She asked.

"More than you know." He told her with a sideways smile.

She sighed and put her hands in her lap. "Do you think...do think Tony even likes me?"

Steve tensed, how was he suppose to answer that? He knew Tony was a good person deep down inside. Tony did like little kids, as long as he wasn't responsible for them.

Steve cleared his throat. "Um, yeah I think he likes you. He just isn't use to raising a little kid, especially a girl. He's just a little stressed out, just give him time, okay?"

She smiled up at him. "I try to be really good for him. He just seems....disappointed."

Steve rubbed her back gently and responded with, "Like I said Maggie, just give him time."

She gave him another one of her beautiful smiles.

"Oh my gosh! It's the Avengers!" A woman squeeled from behind their bench.

Steve and Maggie turned to see a group of people starting to come over.

He stood and crossed his arms and forced a smile. The other Avengers gathered around so that the fans could see them.

Maggie jumped up and got pushed to the back by the fans and press.

"Hey," she muttered as someone tripped her. She got back up and dusted herself off.

"Well that was rude." She muttered and turned around. She decided she was thirsty and walked over to a drink stand.

She stood in front of the stand, barely coming up to the bar. She stood there for a moment, deciding what she wanted.

The worker was a young teenager girl with fake blonde hair and pretty features. Unfortunately Maggie could hardly see her features because her nose was stuck in her phone.

"Hello," Maggie greeted her cheerfully, but the worker only tapped away on her cell phone. Maggie could tell that it was one of the new expensive phone from the enormous size of it.

Maggie cleared her throat and greeted her again, this time a little louder.

The girl smiled at something on her phone and her thumbs scrolled through the phone.

Maggie sighed as she rolled her weight from her heels to her toes and back again.

"Can I have a drink, please?" She asked the worker starting to get a little annoyed.

The teenagers eyes peeled away from her screen and glanced at Maggie with an emotionless expression. Maggie smiled at her, hoping she would get her a drink now, but the girl's eyes only went right back to her iPhone.

Maggie rolled her eyes and reached for the drinks on display. She grabbed a water a held it in front of the worker.

"I'm going to take this and not pay for it if you don't wait on me." She warned the girl.

This time the girl didn't even glance up at Maggie. Maggie huffed and walked away with the stolen bottle of water in her hands.

She struggled with getting the cap open as she walked back over to the Avengers. Unfortunately, the crowd of fans were still there and it didn't look like they where leaving anytime soon. In fact, it looked like the crowd was growing in popularity.

So, Maggie walked over to a picnic table in the shade of a small tree and sat on the top of it. She sat so that she was facing the Avengers so that she could keep an eye on them and make sure they didn't walk off trying to find her.

She fiddled with the cap on her water. It was like it was it was welded on and not even the Hulk could open it.

She stopped and glanced over at the drink stand worker. For a minute she thought about going over and asking the teenager of she would open it, but she would either ask her to pay for it or just ignore her again so she decided against it.

Why couldn't she open this? It was just a simple cap on a water bottle. She took a deep breath and twisted it as hard as she could. But all she got out of it was a sore red palm.

"Ugh!" She groaned as she set it down in her lap.

"Need some help with that?" A familiar voice asked her. She looked up to see Tony Stark dressed in one of his casual suites and bizarre orange sunglasses.

"Yeah, I can't get it open." She admitted shyly. He reached his hand out and she handed him the water bottle.

"Water? Coke's better but whatever." He muttered as he twisted the cap and it opened just like that.

Maggie's jaw dropped as he handed it back to her. She stared at it unbelievingly. Tony took a seat next to her and sighed.

"How'd you do that?!" She exclaimed and he shrugged.

"Talents." He responded casually.

"Where were you?" She asked him in a small voice.

He sniffed through his nose, "Working, why were you at the zoo?"

"Because it's fun. Did you come to have fun with is too?" She smiled at him, hoping she would get to spend time with her dad.

"Uh, yeah, that's it." He said.

"Is something wrong?" She asked him with a frown.

"No, nothing's wrong. How'd you pay for that?" He changed the subject, motioning to the water.

"Oh, well you see that girl over there at the drink stand?" She pointed to the worker who was still playing on her phone. Tony followed her line of sight.

"Yeah?"

"Well, she wouldn't serve me no matter how hard a tried to get her attention. So I told her that I would take it without paying and she didn't even look up, so I stole it." She said as if it was no big deal.

"Nice," he ruffled her dark hair and she swatted his hand away.

"Gah! You're gonna mess up my hair, Tony." She grumbled and tried to smooth her fly-away's down.

Tony laughed, "Don't be a little diva."

Maggie scoffed, "Psh, your the diva! Diva! Diva! Diva!"

"Shh, your gonna draw attention to us. You don't want all those people crowding around us." Stark put his finger up to his lips, showing her to be quiet.

"Oh yeah, right," Maggie muttered, frowning slightly.

They sat there for a minute in a comfortable silence, just watching the crowd of fans slowly start to disperse as the Avengers tried walking away.

"Come on, why don't we go home?" Tony said as he stood up and walked over to his Avenger coworkers and Pepper.

Maggie hopped off the picnic table and followed closely behind him.

****
(A/N)

Thanks for your comments, continue them!