Chapter five: The great divide

Whoa are those traps?

I looked up and stared at traps that lined the trees. After looking for slightly longer, I noticed a fire nation symbol on the metal work.

Pricks.

I continued wandering through the forest, my staff in my right hand being used as a walking stick, bag on my back, filled with the new map I had acquired along with twenty gold pieces.

I already regret giving away my necklace... but I had to, for the sake of mastering water bending.

I continued my stroll, now having a general idea of where I was going due to the map. Ahead of me I soon spotted what looked like a campsite behind some bushes, maybe someone there might be able to help me with reading maps! I'm not particularly good.

I pushed some leaves aside as I wandered into the campsite, there was a lot of stuff just laying around, this seems to be a camp for a lot of people.

No one was here, which I shortly became happy about after I realised the amount of fire nation symbols poking out all over the place.

"Right, I'm getting out of here" I mumbled. Not even wasting a second I jogged out the sight, thankful I wasn't seen.

I've yet to come across any fire nation soldiers, but something tells me they won't take kindly to me. Maybe it's because they killed all my people? Who knows.

Suddenly an arrow fell to my feet, "ah! Shitting hell!" I yelped, the arrow making me jump back a few steps. I looked up to where I believed it to come from and saw some guy with... wheat? In his mouth?

"Who are you?" the voice demanded.

"Uh, Ky?" I replied.

"Who?" he asked again.

"Can you not hear? I said Ky," I stated again, regaining my posture and now standing up straight. Fully recovered from the jump scare.

The guy jumped down from the tree, a few other people behind him, "hm, you don't look like fire nation," he stated, "thank you?" I said, hoping it was a compliment.

"We are the freedom fighters, nice to meet you, I'm Jet." The guy I have now identified as Jet said.

Freedom fighters? I do not have time for this.

"that's nice for you," I replied, before moving forward, the boys then suddenly took a fighting stance, as if I were about to waste my energy on fighting them.

Instead, I walked past them.

"See you later Chet," I said as I continued to walk.

"It's Jet!" he called after, sounding quite irked.

- - -

I rolled over, realising I had probably rested long enough. I stood up from within my sleeping bag before rolling it back up and shoving it into my bag. I sighed as I peeked at the last of my food.

I am really running out of stuff to eat.

I picked up the last of my loaf of bread and my stomach growled, looks like I am eating this now.

- - -

I groaned as I continued my trek up this damn hill.

Man, this sucks so bad.

It was not long before I was no longer sighing because I was bored out of my mind, but now I was sighing with relief.

"The great divide," I grinned, looking at the canyon ahead of me, "thank god I've finally made it."

Suddenly, rocks behind me started to move.

What on earth-

"Who's ready to cross this here canyon?!" an old man asked, sounding very cheerful. His eyes then landed on me, "ah! Just the one of you?" he asked, "yep! I hope that's okay, do we need to wait for more people?" I asked, hoping he was not about to turn me away. I needed to cross this canyon.

"Oh, not at all," he responded cheerfully, beaming a smile. I like this man he seems kind, "all I ask is no food in the canyon, it attracts dangerous predators" the guide said. "Ah, that's absolutely fine," I started, "I finished off my food on the way here!"

I guess its handy I ran out of food then...

We had started to make our way through the canyon, and honestly I'm quite happy there were no other people to arrive before we left, would have been too crowded I think.

The man was very nice, he chatted to me the whole way, giving me information on how the canyons had been formed, whilst earth bending us through safely.

Gotta say, I'm really impressed by his skills, but something tells me he'd be a bit too busy to teach me his tricks.

we then came to a wall that the guide destroyed, "why'd you do that?" I asked the guide, "people who take this route are afraid of the fire nation aren't they? got to make sure we won't be followed, we'll be safe now" the guide answered, "yeah that makes sense,", "why are you out here then, youngster?" the guide asked me. "Well, that's a story I think might take a bit too long, even for this journey," I began, "but to put it simply, I'm making my way to the northern water tribe, I have a goal of mastering water bending!" I said excitedly.

"Water bending?" he asked, "by looking at those there tattoos on you I'd say you're an air bender though?" he questioned. Before I could even respond he began to go off on a tangent. "Or is that there a fancy costume? Or it's to remember those lost? Did you have air bender relatives? Or do you think it's just a fancy body decoration? Do it even mean of anything those blue lines there? Or are you a tattoo fanatic?"

Right.

"Nope! You were right the first time, I'm an air bender!" I exclaimed proudly. "Oh wow! But- then why you out here tryna learn yourself water bending?" he asked.

He's one nosey man, huh.

"I'm the avatar!" I beamed, saying my title with pride.

"My golly, well aint that impressive. I suppose I had best get you across this canyon safely then! wouldn't want to kill off our only hope saving our nation!"