Chapter Twenty Four

I sit with Cressida and Johanna as Peeta plays with Posy and Luna.

"So what have you been up to, Katniss?" Cressida asks.

"Nothing really, Peeta and I are still trying to cope with everything after five years, but we're getting there."

"I'm so sorry, Hun." Cressida says. "I wish things didn't have to be this way."

I just look up at her.

"So," she says. "Are you planning on having children in the future? Peeta looks like he'd be an amazing father."

"I don't know.." I whisper.

I look over and see the joy on Peeta's face. I want him to feel that joy every day again.

"Well, whatever you do, I'll support you," Cressida says. She gets up and walks over to Gale.

Johanna crawls over to me and sits next to me with a smile.

"I have to tell you something, and you're the first to know."

"What is it?" I ask.

"Well.."

I raise my eyebrow and summon for her to tell me.

"I'm pregnant!"

"Wow," I say. "You must be so happy."

"I am," Johanna says. "This is the first baby that we planned and I'm just so excited!"

I smile. I'm happy for Johanna, I really am, but it's times like this that I wish I could hold my baby in my arms.

Peeta gives Posy and Luna back to Johanna and Cressida, and it's then time for dinner.

We all fill up the dining room. The children sit at their own small table.

I sit next to Peeta and Annie.

"So, sweetheart," Haymitch says as he grabs the liquor. "How have you two love birds been?" He makes a face and then laughs.

"We've been good," I say.

Peeta places his hand on my thigh.

"And how are you, Peeta?" Effie chimes in.

Peeta laughs a little. "I'm fine. I've been stressed with the bakery lately, but I'm happy."

"Okay, everyone! Alder and I have a big announcement!" Johanna says.

Alder and Johanna exchange a glance. "I'm pregnant!"

Everyone congratulates Johanna and Alder, and then dinner is over.

***

The thought of how much Peeta wants children keeps running through my head.

I sit on the couch of our room and play with my nails, trying to keep my mind off of the subject, but I can't. I have to ask Peeta how he feels.